The Museum of La Plata belongs to the Faculty of Natural Sciences of the National University of La Plata. It is an emblematic institution of the capital city of the province of Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Its mission is to contribute to the knowledge and dissemination of nature, human beings and their culture, within a framework of respect for the natural and cultural heritage of all peoples.
Its building, a National Historical Monument, is neoclassical in style and is decorated with motifs from Pre-Columbian America. It was inaugurated on November 19, 1888.
Currently the collections reach around 4 million pieces and specimens, most of them from Argentina and other South American countries. The permanent exhibition is organized in 20 rooms whose organization represents the evolution of nature, from the formation of the universe to the origin of human beings and their cultures.