The Pedro de Osma Museum exhibits Peruvian artworks from the 5th to the 18th centuries AD. Its Ancient Peru pieces, from a Cuzco private collection, were crafted in the Southern Andes, where the Tiwanaku and Inca cultures flourished. The paintings, sculptures, furniture and silver that comprise the Viceroyal exhibition belong mainly to the collection built by Pedro de Osma Gildemeister (1901-1967), among which stand out the remarkable 18th century Cusco school paintings. This precious artistic legacy is displayed in what were Pedro de Osma Gildemeister’s dwellings, commissioned in 1906 by his father, the politician and notary Pedro de Osma y Pardo.
In the early 20th century Barranco was a summer resort. Its widely spaced ranch houses and small summer residences outlined the rudiments of an urban landscape. During this period a style of architecture based on prestige emerged, with the main purpose of showcasing the power held by Lima’s elite. In the urban context of present-day Barranco, the De Osma estate bears witness to that era.
The house was designed in the French style by civil engineer and architect Santiago Basurco, acclaimed mainly for his 1903 San Fernando Medicine Pavilion, for San Marcos University. The residence served as the family’s summer house until the 1940 Lima earthquake, when Pedro de Osma y Pardo’s children, Pedro and Angelica, made Barranco their year-round home.
The two principal buildings of the De Osma summer house - the main residence and the dining area - are separated by an ample garden. Both pavilions are open to the public.
Pedro de Osma Gildemeister, the collector
Pedro de Osma Gildemeister was born in 1901 and passed away in 1967. It is not simple to pinpoint precisely how it was that he became a collector. However, his passion for Viceroyal art may be a result of growing up surrounded by artworks. When he became an adult, Viceroyal and European art from the 16th to the 18th centuries were already essential to the spirit and identity of his family.
The acquisition of artworks to decorate the De Osma mansion in Barranco was contemporary to other important Peruvian collections, such as those assembled by Miguel Mujica, from Lima, and Trujillo’s Rafael Larco Hoyle. These collections were built in the context of profound social and cultural transformations.
Shortly before he passed away, in 1967, Pedro de Osma expressed his wish that a foundation be established to manage his estate, with the aim of transforming his legacy into a museum that would benefit the entire Peruvian society.
The Pedro de Osma Museum opened its doors to the public in July 1988, following the remarkable work carried out by art historian Francisco Stastny and a team of professionals who classified, conserved and restored the Pedro de Osma collection. During this first stage, people interested in Viceroyal art could request a private visit to the museum.
On June 1st 1996 the museum opened its doors to the general public. In 2009 art historians Jaime Mariazza and Ricardo Estabridis formulated a new museography, which allows visitors to follow a chronological itinerary, from the arrival of the mannerist masters until the great explosion that was the Cusco school of the 18th century. Recently, Mr. José Ignacio Lambarri’s Ancient Peru art collection has joined the permanent exhibition. This addition provides the museum with an artistic outlook on nineteen centuries of Peruvian art.
Pedro de Osma Museum
Tuesday to Sunday, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Phone: (51 1) 467-0141 and (51 1) 467-0063
10:30 a.m. / 11:45 a.m. / 1:00 p.m. (not available on Sundays) / 2:15 p.m. / 3:30 p.m. / 4:45 p.m.
To arrange educational visits, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
General: 20.00 soles
Students / senior citizens: 10.00 soles
Double ticket* (Osma and Mate): 24.00 soles
Triple ticket* (Osma, Mate and MAC): 32.00 soles
*More information on these tickets can be found on www.museopedrodeosma.org
Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / Youtube