Museum of Decorative Arts and Design

Museum of Decorative Arts and Design
Rīga, ラトビア

The Museum of Decorative Arts and Design was opened on July 6, 1989 and it is situated in the former St.George's church – the oldest surviving stone building in Riga.

The Museum of Decorative Arts and Design is established as a museum of Latvian professional decorative applied art, which preserves predominantly artworks and „one off” design objects created by Latvian artists. Artworks by foreign artists are donations to the museum. In total the holding of the museum comprises seven collections: textile art, ceramics and porcelain, metal art, leather art, decorative woodworking, glass art and, since 2006, design.

In its beginnings, Latvian professional decorative art, inspired by the first national awakening, was mostly rooted in folk craft traditions and the ethnographic heritage. In the first half of the 20th century there was a search for their national identity in the area of decorative applied art. Prominent masters like Jūlijs Madernieks (1870–1955), Jūlijs Straume (1874–1970), Ansis Cīrulis (1883–1942), Jēkabs Bīne (1895–1955), Arvīds Dzērvītis (1847–1942) and others were involved in this search, which was particularly relevant in the context of the time.

The museum owns the biggest existing collection of works by the founders of Latvian modernism, artists of the Baltars porcelain painting workshop: Romans Suta (1896–1944), Aleksandra Beļcova (1892–1981) and Sigismunds Vidbergs (1890–1970). Latvian modernism is defined by the abstract geometrical forms inspired by the Cubist, Futurist and Art Deco movements, decorative colours and shapes and graphic subtlety. The collection of works spans the time from the late 1800s to the present.

The permanent displays of the Museum of Decorative Arts and Design help the visitors to gain an insight into the creative work of each individual artist as well as to get impression about the dominating art styles and directions of different periods of time.

The Museum of Decorative Arts and Design was established on January 1, 1989. On July 6, 1989 it opened its doors to visitors. Until the year 2000 the museum was a constituent part of the Latvian Art Museums' Association. In January 1, 2000 it received an independent legal status and since then it has been operating as a state museum and is subjected to the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Latvia. Starting from January 1, 2010 the Museum of Decorative Arts and Design has been incorporated into the Latvian National Museum of Art.

一部のみ表示もっと見る

1 個のストーリー

このコレクション内

52 件のアイテム

Museum of Decorative Arts and DesignSkārņu iela 10
Centra rajons, Rīga, LV-1050
ラトビア
ウェブサイトにアクセス: Museum of Decorative Arts and Design
開館時間
月曜日定休日
火曜日11時00分~17時00分
水曜日11時00分~19時00分
木曜日11時00分~17時00分
金曜日11時00分~17時00分
土曜日11時00分~17時00分
日曜日11時00分~17時00分
Google アプリ