The National Library was opened on September 14, 1925. 99 scientific state, public organizations and institutions of Moscow, Leningrad (now – Saint-Petersburg) and other cities took part in the acquisitions of its funds. Initially the library lent literature to individual institutions and researchers, and then in 1927 a reading room was opened. Since its opening, the institution became one of the most important cultural centers in the Republic.
Since 1928 formation and development of the local lore bibliography, collection of materials concerning Yakutia and creation of the collection “Yakutia” began. Now the National Library of the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia) is one of the largest libraries in the North-East of Russia, engaged in scientific-research work in the field of library, bibliography sciences and history of the book. The library regularly holds scientific conferences, including international and interregional ones. The library coordinates all libraries of 34 districts of the republic.
The library fund includes about 2 million copies in Russian, Yakut languages and languages of indigenous small-numbered peoples of the North, literature about Yakutia in foreign languages. The digital library fund has over 13 000 scanned copies. The National Library includes the Center for Children and Youth which provides library and information services for children and youth and the Library of the archives of the First President of the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia), Mikhail Nikolaev.