The Royal Academy of Medicine of Spain began its history in the first third of the eighteenth century in the midst of a gathering in the pharmacy of José Hortega, under Enlightenment movement. In July 1733 became a grouping of professionals, initially titled "Tertulia Médico-Chymica-Phisica" and later "Tertulia Médica Matritense". It received the Royal sanction from Felipe V in September 18, 1734, following approval of its Statutes, which became the Tertulia in Academia. It was reorganized by Royal Decree of April 28, 1861, "to promote the progress of Spanish medicine, publish its story literature, forming the medical geography and a technological dictionary of medicine."
It uses as emblem a shield that represents the allegory of Archimedes, which states that by using many small mirrors arranged in a dish and using the sun's rays, got fire to the Roman fleet. The academic medals bear a midwife allegory symbolizing medicine and the legend “Ars cum natura ad salutem conspirans”.
Today, the Royal Academy of Medicine of Spain held public Scientific Sessions every Tuesday working the course, in which two scholars sets scientific issues, Takeover Sessions, Opening and Closing of the Course, Special Sessions, etc. Regarding publications, the journal published quarterly RANM Annals, which includes the lectures delivered at Scientific Sessions, News bulletin, activity Newsletter and monographs, etc… The tasks and current projects of the Royal Academy include: the Dictionary of Medical Terms, the announcement and awarding of Prizes, computerization of its bibliographic, and one of the most interesting cultural project: the creation of a national museum of history of Spanish medicine, Museo de Medicina Infanta Margarita which will house an important collection of pieces of medical - scientific , historical and artistic relevance , reflecting the evolution of this discipline throughout history.
It consists of fifty Academic Fellows and Honor Scholars, Corresponding National and Foreign Fees and Medals of Honor. Its current President, since 2012, is Prof. D. Joaquin Poch Broto.