The Frick Collection was founded by Henry Clay Frick (1849-1919), the Pittsburgh coke and steel industrialist. At his death, Mr. Frick bequeathed his New York residence and the most outstanding of his many artworks to establish a public gallery for the purpose of "encouraging and developing the study of the fine arts." Chief among his bequests, which also included sculpture, drawings, prints, and decorative arts such as furniture, porcelains, enamels, rugs, and silver, were one hundred thirty-one paintings. The Frick Collection now houses a permanent collection of more than 1,100 works of art from the Renaissance to the late nineteenth century.
The Frick Collection includes superb examples of Italian paintings and bronzes, Dutch seventeenth-century works of art, Limoges enamels, English eighteenth-century portraits, French eighteenth-century paintings and furniture, nineteenth-century paintings and Chinese porcelains. Artists represented in the Collection include Rembrandt van Rijn, Giovanni Bellini, El Greco, Frans Hals, Johannes Vermeer, Fran=3D3DE7ois Boucher, Thomas Gainsborough, Joshua Reynolds, Joseph Mallord William Turner, James McNeill Whistler, Francesco Laurana, Jean-Antoine Houdon, and Severo Calzetta da Ravenna.