Yakutsk State Museum of History and Culture of Northern’ peoples named after Em. Yaroslavsky was founded in 1887; it is the oldest museum of the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia), the Far East and Siberia.
Currently the museum is one of the largest museums in the North-East of the Russian Federation. It has a wonderful collection of monuments of history and culture of the peoples of Yakutia and is widely known as a center of cultural and educational activities. The main direction of research is source, where priority is given to the cataloging of the collections, research on archeology and ethnography of Yakutia, history of museums in the republic and Siberia. The research work of the museum is reflected in numerous publications employees in scientific collections, magazines, preparation and publication of monographs.
The museum is a member of the Union of museums of Russia. It has close connections with Russian and foreign museums, international museum organizations. The first recognition in international projects were received by the museum in 1981, participating in the international exhibition "Man and his world" in Montreal (Canada). Since then, the museum has launched an exhibition activity, his collection has been exhibited in many countries and regions of the Russian Federation. Director of museum E. S. Shishigin takes an active part in the work of the Union of museums of Russia, in 2013 for the third time elected member of the Presidium of the Union of museums of Russia, which proves the credibility of the museum.
The museum has 7 branches:
• Cherkekh historical and memorial museum "Yakut political exile" (museum complex)
• Republic Museum of history of statehood of the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia) named after Maxim Kirovich Ammosov
• Museum "Yakut exile"
• Memorial Museum of Maxim Kirovich Ammosov
• The Museum of Emelyan Mikhailovich Yaroslavsky
• Museum of statehood of the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia) named after Platon Alekseevich Oyunsky
• Museum of statehood of the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia) named after Isidor Nikiforovich Barahov.
Every year the museum and its branches are visited by over 100 thousand people, the museum organizes more than 120 exhibitions, more than 200 cultural and educational activities. The holdings of museum are more 120 thousand of the main and auxiliary science subjects.