Wilton House Museum is a non-profit historical house museum dedicated to educating the American public, especially our youth, about our nation’s early history. Wilton is an impressive example of Colonial American architecture, built c. 1753 for William Randolph III and his wife Anne Carter Harrison Randolph, both members of politically active families. This centerpiece of their 2,000 acre tobacco and wheat plantation was constructed by both free and enslaved masons and carpenters. When the house was threatened with demolition by encroaching industrial development, The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the Commonwealth of Virginia (NSCDA-VA) purchased the house and had it carefully moved and restored at its current location in 1934 to serve as its headquarters. The NSCDA-VA opened the house to the public as a museum in 1953.