Hunter's Hill Council
A Hunter's Hill Heritage Walk
The Garibaldi Walk
From the Hunters Hill Heritage Walks Guide.
The Cuneos were shopkeepers, yachtsmen and had a jazz band. ‘Cuneo’s Corner’ was a centre of social activity and ‘Cuneo’s Recreation Ground’ was on the opposite corner. The Garibaldi survived a threat of demolition in the 1970s.
A heritage-listed worker's cottage. Ann O’Donnell and John Jacob Hellmann (later Hillman) built this stone cottage in 1871, naming it Carrum Carrum. Hillman, the district’s first lamplighter, was a shoemaker and Ann had a dairy and an orchard next door.
The rebuilt Town Hall preserved most of the original façade and was opened by Sir Roden Cutler, State Governor, on 11 July, 1980.
Hunters Hill Public School
Residents built this school of local stone on land donated by Captain William Wright of Drummoyne. The building was furnished and given to the Education Department. It is a fine example of a simple Gothic-style schoolhouse of the Victorian period.
5 Alexandra Street
A 10-roomed house with shop and store built by John Cuneo in 1867. Property leased to Frederick Nelson until 1881. Nelson purchased No 5 Alexandra Street and also No 3 (Trafalgar Cottage) and extended the trading premises.
The Gladstone 1882
Corner Alexandra and Mount Streets
A migrant from County Leitrim in Ireland, Felix Cullen subdivided a large estate here. He built several houses and this as a private boarding house in 1882. It became the Gladstone Hotel in 1887.
1 Madeline Street
This grand 11-room stone house was built by Felix Cullen in 1886 for letting and owned by his widow until 1906. A quarry operated on the steeply sloping western side of the garden for some years. The well-known journalist James Kingston [‘King’] Watson and his wife Eleanor spent years restoring Kyarra in the 1950s.