Peermont: Then and Now

Explore historic buildings from early Avalon and see where they are today!

By The Avalon History Center

Peermont Train Station

Built on Railroad Avenue by Enos Williams in 1889, this train station was eventually replaced in 1926 by the station on 21st Street. Railroad Avenue now runs behind the Avalon Post Office (shown here), but the remains of the Peermont Train Station were later relocated behind the Ridley house on 33rd Street.

Peermont Station (1920/1939) by UnknownThe Avalon History Center

Avalon's first train station before it was replaced in 1926.

The remains of the Peermont Railroad Station behind the Ridley house.

Built in the 1890s by John Berner, the Ridley house was originally on the beach, but it was moved due to tidal encroachment.

Peermont Methodist Episcopal Church (1892/1899) by UnknownThe Avalon History Center

Belfry House

Built in 1892 as a Union church, the Peermont Methodist Episcopal Church was rechristened in 1893 before changing twice again in early 1960s, then closing as a church in 1965. Today, the building is a private residence known as the "Belfry house."

The Belfry house as it is today.

The Peermont Cottages

The development of Peermont included construction of large, ornate "cottages" for executives and stockholders of the Avalon Beach Improvement Company (ABICO). All three of the buildings featured here still exist today as private residences. 

Reichert Cottage (circa. 1890) by UnknownThe Avalon History Center

This cottage was built in the 1890s for John F. Reichert, who was a director of ABICO.

Reichert Cottage today on the corner of First Avenue and 33rd Street.

Charles Wilkinson Cottage (circa. 1890) by Thomas R. FoxThe Avalon History Center

This house was build for Charles Wilkinson of ABICO in 1890.

Wilkinson Cottage on First Avenue.

Zacharia Shaw Cottage (1891/1899) by Thomas R. FoxThe Avalon History Center

Located on 31st Street, this house was built in 1891 for Zacharia Shaw of ABICO. Shaw called his home the "Hollywood Villa."

Shaw Cottage on 31st Street.

The Sealark (1931) by UnknownThe Avalon History Center

The Sealark

Built in 1901, the Sealark served as a guest house in the 1940s. It was owned and operated by William Pancoast, who also provided the name. The building continues to serve as a bed and breakfast to this day.

Sea Lark Sign (1946) by UnknownThe Avalon History Center

The man in this 1946 photograph is thought to be William Pancoast, the original proprietor.

The present-day Sealark located on First Avenue.

The Weintraub House

Built in the 1890s by John Berner, this house was originally owned by the Weintraub sisters - Sarah Louise, Georgine, and Helen - who were prominent local advocates of healthy living and woman's suffrage. Today, the house is known as "Sand Spur."

Sand Spur (circa. 1890) by UnknownThe Avalon History Center

Sand Spur on 32nd Street.

The Weintraub Sisters (1915) by UnknownThe Avalon History Center

The three Weintraub sisters with unidentified family members.

The Peermont Walking Tour

Want to see more of historic Peermont? Visit the Avalon History Center for a tour map featuring nineteen historic buildings and landmarks. Also, be sure to check out our exhibits on early Avalon - including the railroad and the island's first hotels!

Credits: All media
The story featured may in some cases have been created by an independent third party and may not always represent the views of the institutions, listed below, who have supplied the content.
Google apps