Historic Centre of the Town of Goiás

UNESCO World Heritage

A great example of the organic development of a mining town

The Historic Centre of the Town of Goiás is built between two series of hills, along a small river, the Rio Vermelho. The areas on the right bank are tight up against the north-western hills, and have a popular character, indicated by the church of Rosario, which was traditionally reserved for slaves.

Outstanding Universal Value (2001) by Historic Centre of the Town of GoiásUNESCO World Heritage

The areas on the left bank, limited by the hills to the south-east, are reserved for the more representative groups of buildings, including the parish church (today the cathedral) of Santana, the Governor’s Palace, the barracks, the Casa de Fundição (foundry), extending to the Praça do Chafariz and climbing towards the hill of Chapeu do Padre. Here are also to be found the historic residential quarter and a characteristic market place.

Historic Centre of the Town of Goiás (2001) by Historic Centre of the Town of GoiásUNESCO World Heritage

The urban layout is an example of the organic development of a mining town, adapted to the conditions of the site. Although modest, both public and private architecture form a harmonious whole, due to the coherent use of local materials and vernacular techniques.Goiás testifies to the occupation and colonization of the lands of central Brazil in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Historic Centre of the Town of Goiás (2001) by Historic Centre of the Town of GoiásUNESCO World Heritage

The origins of the town of Goiás are closely related with the history of the more or less official expeditions (bandeiras), which left from São Paulo to explore the interior of the Brazilian territory. It was the first officially recognized urban core, the first borough to be planned West of the demarcation line of the Treaty of Tordesillas that defined the boundaries of the Portuguese possessions.

Praça do Mercado (2001) by Historic Centre of the Town of GoiásUNESCO World Heritage

In its layout and architecture the Historic Center of the Town of Goiás is an outstanding example of a European town admirably adapted to the climatic, geographical and cultural constraints of central South America.

Historic Centre of the Town of Goiás (2001) by Historic Centre of the Town of GoiásUNESCO World Heritage

This is demonstrated by the urban plan adapted to the topography either side of the river, the architectural features and layouts, materials and building techniques.

Urban layout (2001) by Historic Centre of the Town of GoiásUNESCO World Heritage

Currently, the city of Goiás is the only and last testimony of integrity, authentic and original example of urban existing ‘bandeirista’ set at the beginning of the 18th century.

Outstanding Universal Value (2001) by Historic Centre of the Town of GoiásUNESCO World Heritage

Historic Centre of the Town of Goiás (2001) by Historic Centre of the Town of GoiásUNESCO World Heritage

Architecture

The Historic Center of the Town of Goiás represents the evolution of a form of urban structure and architecture characteristic of the colonial settlement of South America, making full use of local materials and techniques and conserving its exceptional setting. It is the last remaining example of the occupation of the interior of Brazil, as it was practiced in the 18th and 19th centuries. The Historic Center of the Town of Goiás is characterized by the harmony of its architecture, due to the proportions and types of buildings.

Palácio Conde dos Arcos (2001) by Historic Centre of the Town of GoiásUNESCO World Heritage

Transformed into a museum in 1961, the Government Palace Conde dos Arcos offers a permanent exhibition, which tells the story of the governors of Goiás. Its 36 rooms house an extensive collection of the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries, which includes belongings of former governors, silverware, collections of coins from the time of the Empire, decorative arts, furniture, weapons, among other various objects.

Palácio Conde dos Arcos (2001) by Historic Centre of the Town of GoiásUNESCO World Heritage

On the right bank of the Rio Vermelho, stands the Rosario Church, originally reserved for the slaves since 1730. It was demolished in 1934 and rebuilt in Neo-gothic style.

Rosario Church (2001) by Historic Centre of the Town of GoiásUNESCO World Heritage

The Chafariz de Cauda (Cauda Fountain) was built to be the second fountain to provide water to the city, sharing the task with the Carioca Fountain. Constructed in stone, with a very practical architecture, but also covered with Rococo ornaments.

Chafariz de Cauda Fountain (2001) by Historic Centre of the Town of GoiásUNESCO World Heritage

The Church of Santa Barbara had its construction started in 1775 by Cristóvão José Ferreira. The building took five years to be built. It holds a very simple facade, using materials such as adobe and soapstone. It stands over a hill.

Church of Santa Barbara (2001) by Historic Centre of the Town of GoiásUNESCO World Heritage

The Santana Cathedral has stood since 1743.

Santana Cathedral (2001) by Historic Centre of the Town of GoiásUNESCO World Heritage

Church of Nossa Senhora da Abadia (2001) by Historic Centre of the Town of GoiásUNESCO World Heritage

Opened in 1989, the museum Cora Coralina's House showcases the thoughts, the history and the poetry of one of the most important people in Brazilian literature.

Museu Casa de Cora Coralina (2001) by Historic Centre of the Town of GoiásUNESCO World Heritage

The Museum aims, especially, at the development of the culture and identity of the people of Goiás, preserving works and documents which are important for the memory of the literature of Brazil.

Museu Casa de Cora Coralina (2001) by Historic Centre of the Town of GoiásUNESCO World Heritage

The Museu de Arte Sacra da Boa Morte (Museum of Sacred Art of the Good Death), located in the Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Boa Morte (Church of our Lady of the Good Death), exhibits many cedar sculptures and the originality of its baroque facade.

Museu de Arte Sacra da Boa Morte (2001) by Historic Centre of the Town of GoiásUNESCO World Heritage

Credits: Story

This exhibit was created by Embratur
www.embratur.gov.br

More on the Historic Centre of the Town of Goiás and World Heritage:
whc.unesco.org/en/list/993/

Photos: Embratur

Credits: All media
The story featured may in some cases have been created by an independent third party and may not always represent the views of the institutions, listed below, who have supplied the content.
Google apps