The land in Coyoacán, where the Frida Kahlo Museum now stands, was bought by her father, Guillermo Kahlo. The house dates from 1904 and was built in a style typical of the period, with rooms surrounding a central courtyard.
The study was added later by Juan O'Gorman in 1946 and was in keeping with his functionalist style of architecture. As well as being Kahlo's creative space, her husband Diego Rivera used the studio to store some of his pre-Hispanic art.
The dining room, with its selection of handicrafts from all over the country, reflects Khalo and Rivera's love of Mexico. It includes pottery from Puebla, Jalisco, and Michoacán.
This section of the courtyard was also designed by O'Gorman. Rivera asked him to use volcanic rock, which he had used in the construction of the Anahuacalli Museum. Snail shells and plant pots were also used for decoration.
Kahlo and Rivera filled the courtyard of the Blue House with plants and flowers native to Mexico. Nature was extremely important to Kahlo: beyond merely being part of the decor, plants were her inspiration.
Kahlo's ashes are still in her bedroom, kept in a clay urn on the dresser.