All spaces at Alexandra Palace were appropriated to accommodate refugees, then internees during the First World War. This space is the indoor bowling green. During the First World War, Alexandra Palace was taken over by the Metropolitan Asylum Board to house refugees fleeing Belgium and the Netherlands. In 1915 it became an internment camp for 3,000 German, Austrian and Hungarian ‘enemy aliens’. The last internee left in 1919, however the Palace was not reopened until 1922.