The manufacture of porcelain in Sèvres, on the outskirts of Versailles, was established from industries previously located in Vincennes. In activity since 1756, this industry became a leader and reference in the production of porcelain in Europe, largely due to the patronage of king Louis XV and Madame de Pompadour. A selection of leading French scientists and artists became involved with the company, developing better formulas and new styles. For example, the chemist Jean Hallot, the painter François Boucher and the sculptor Étienne-Maurice Falconet.
Bonbon box, with lid, in porcelain, made in Sèvres. Amphora shape, matte blue background, decorated with paintings of flowers and leaves, adorned with friezes and golden filigrees. At the top, a cap with a small golden metal plunger.