The manuscript was probably commissioned by an abbess at the Cistercian nunnery of Sonnefeld. The date 1471 and the name of the scribe, Andreas Herttrich, are noted in the colophon. The latter was most probably working at the cloister of Langheim, but is also known as a benefactor of Sonnefeld.
The miniature, however, was probably painted at Bamberg or at least by a painter from Bamberg.
The position of the figure, kneeling at the lower rim and looking up towards the script, lends a spacial character to the flat page.