This elegant little calash
was built for Archduchess Gisela, the daughter born to Emperor Francis Joseph
and Empress Elisabeth in 1856. As was usual with all high-ranking children’s
carriages, it shares its luxurious technology and design with coaches for adults.
Shaped like a ship, the fashionable box is mounted directly on the compression
springs of the richly gilt frame. It has “court-green” paintwork and edging of
golden tendrils. The monogram of the young archduchess is on the door.
According to letters from
the children’s grandmother, Archduchess Sophia, the little carriage was used by
Gisela and her brother, Rudolf, in Bad Ischl as early as 1859: “Both children
looked so happy”, Sophia wrote when she saw the calash drawn by a donkey drive
“back and forth in front of the house”.