This is a wide-brimmed white ceramic inkwell for a school desk. Inkwells were an essential writing item in schools until pens were introduced around 1940–50. They could sit on top of school desks or be fitted into them. A quill with a pointed metal nib was used to write. The nib was inserted into the mouth of the inkwell to fill it with ink, and students would then move it along the paper to trace lines, write, and draw.
This inkwell is from the school of Lalueza (in Huesca).