The steam locomotive pictured is travelling away from the dock area (located along the Niagara River) on King Street. Across the train tracks is a drug store, which is currently the Niagara Apothecary. In 1854 the railway was extended from Queenston to Niagara-on-the-Lake. The line carried freight, usually local produce, and passengers to the dock to connect to steamers that sailed daily from Niagara to Toronto. The line carried passengers until the 1920s and freight until 1959. Beside the train are the tracks for the Niagara, St.Catharines and Toronto Railway. This line travelled between St.Catharines and Niagara-on-the-Lake, opening in 1913 and running until 1931.