The Niagara Historical Society & Museum is home to one of the finest collections of early Canadian artefacts and archives. Founded in 1895, the object of the Society was to encourage the study of Canadian history and to collect and preserve Canadian historical records and relics.
Under the determined leadership of Janet Carnochan, the Society constructed Memorial Hall, which opened in 1907. It was the first building in Ontario designed solely for the use as a historical museum. Today, the Museum houses an unparalleled collection of over 40,000 artefacts and archives.