In 1938, Parramatta Park attempted to host a grand prix. However, in the days leading up to the event, safety inspections concluded that the race track with all its twist and turns was unsafe for both spectators and participants. As a result, the police commissioner Mr Mackay, banned the race from going ahead. In 1951, the Parramatta Park Trust attempted again to open the park to motor racing. Once again, the Police Commissioner rejected the event. An appeal was made in 1952, and the judge agreed to allow the construction of the raceway under the condition that spectators were 12 metres away from the race course.
Over 40,000 people turned up to watch the race and witness John Crouch, a Sydney driver, win three of seven races. Motor and bike racing finished in the Park in 1955.