Tachibana Muneshige (1567-1643) was the first lord of the Yanagawa domain and second head of the Tachibana family.
This portrait was painted for the thirteenth anniversary of Muneshige’s death in 1654. The inscription on the painting was written by the 152nd priest of the Daitoku-ji Temple in Kyoto.
Among the existing portraits of Muneshige, this painting best depicts his features.
It was originally kept in the Daitoku-ji Temple, which was associated with Muneshige. However, during the third generation of the Tachibana family, Lord Akitora found it damaged and ordered a new portrait painted as a replacement. Since then, the original painting has been preserved by the Tachibana family.
This portrait was restored and open to the public.