The view of the New London Bridge and the remains of the Old London Bridge from beneath the new bridge. The New London Bridge is seen on the left of this picture, lined with people watching the final stages of the demolition of the 12th century Old London Bridge on the right side, where some workers can be seen on duty. Other labourers are in the foreground pulling rubble and a rope which is attached to a small ship. The old bridge and new approach roads were still in use in the early stages of its demolition.
A competition was held in 1799 for designs to replace the existing medieval bridge. John Rennie, a Scottish engineer responsible for Waterloo and Southwark bridges's design was accepted. The structure was a plain five semi-elliptical arches of varying widths, made of granite from Devon and Scotland. However, the bridge was eventually built by his sons, George and John, after his death. The New London Bridge was opened by King William IV and Queen Adelaide on August 1, 1831 and last until the early 1970s.
The unidentified artist has signed the painting with intertwined initials which have been read as J.W.S.