The City of Orange is a township in Essex County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the township's population was 30,134, reflecting a decline of 2,734 from the 32,868 counted in 2000, which had in turn increased by 2,943 from the 29,925 counted in the 1990 Census.
Orange was originally incorporated as a township by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on November 27, 1806, from portions of Newark Township. Portions of the township were taken on April 14, 1834, to form the now-defunct Clinton Township. On January 31, 1860, Orange was reincorporated as a town. Portions of the town were taken to form South Orange Township, Fairmount, East Orange Township and West Orange Township. On April 3, 1872, Orange was reincorporated as a city.