Piana degli Albanesi is a comune with 6,128 inhabitants in the Metropolitan City of Palermo, Sicily. The official name of the town was Piana dei Greci until 1941. The comune is situated on a mountainous plateau and encircled by high mountains, on the eastern side of the imposing Mount Pizzuta, the city, which is mirrored on a large lake, is 24 km from the provincial capital.
The town is the most important center of the Albanians of Sicily, as well as the largest and most populous colony of Arbëreshë and it is the episcopal see of the Eparchy of Piana degli Albanesi, constituency of the Italo-Albanian Church whose jurisdiction covers all Albanians of Sicily who practice the Byzantine rite.
The community, after five centuries from its foundation, has maintained many ethnic elements of Albanian culture like language, religious ritual, traditional costumes, music and folklore. The inhabitants are the descendants of Albanian families, including nobles and relatives of Skanderbeg, that settled in Southern Italy during the Ottoman Empire conquest of the Balkans.