This south face of the tower shows diagonal lines of small windows (for stair lighting) up different levels of the tower.
The lower of these two lines features a blocked window at its upper end. Behind this window was a lobby area, which encouraged waiting visitors to admire the large castle enclosure.
The keep incorporates elements from the 11th to 13th centuries and later phases of repair. Embedded in the ground-floor is the original 11th-century principal entrance (left), marked by a large archway. When Conan built the keep, it is likely this gateway was blocked up to form a basement for the tower (right).
The castle is now entered through a 19th-century gatehouse which sits to the east of the keep.
After changing ownership in the 13th and 14th centuries, Richmond Castle gradually lapsed into ruin. A survey made in 1538 showed that it was entirely derelict.
Artists in the late 18th and early 19th centuries admired the castle as a Romantic ruin, and Richmond town became a fashionable place for tourists to visit, as it remains today.
Megan Leyland, Will Wyeth, Rose Arkle