Join us and learn about this incredible narrative made by a master enameler
A similar piece showing a rendering of The Small Passion attributed to the same author can be found in the Wallace Collection, Hermitage Museum Saint Petersburg and the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris amongst others.
In all the artworks a particular technique unseen by the naked eye is used, consisting in the use of three layers of enamel: the first, white opaque glass upon which the drawing is rendered; the second, coloured transparent glass through which the underlying rendering can be seen; the third, white opaque translucent glass applied atop the other colors, visible in some of the landscapes and depictions of flesh.
All that is known about these plaques is that in 1752 they hung in the Mosteiro de Santa Cruz in Coimbra, where they were an object adoration and devotion. In the Monastery's opulent baroque environment, the plaques could be found in the reliquary room.
In 1834 with the dissolution of Portugal's religious orders the plaques became part of the inaugural collection of the Museu Portuense (later to become the Museu Nacional Soares dos Reis) created that very year.
Curator: Ana Cristina Almeida
Content: Ana Paula Santos
Support: Mafalda Macedo (volunteer)
Digital Production: Luis Ramos Pinto (DGPC)
Translation: Luis Ramos Pinto (DGPC)