Introducing Grime’s Graves
Grime’s Graves is one of ten known Neolithic flint mines in England and the only one open to visitors. This grassy lunar landscape contains over 400 pits. The name Grime’s Graves comes from the Anglo-Saxon word Grim (or Woden) and graves (hollows or holes). It was not until one of the pits was excavated in 1868 that they were identified as flint mines dug about 4,500 years ago.