The National Pantheon - Santa Engrácia Church's mission is to honor, promote and spread the life and work of distinguished Portuguese personalities.
The Church of Santa Engracia - National Pantheon seen fron Botto Machado Garden.
The National Pantheon stands in front of Tagus river, highlighting the historical area of the city, being an inescapable reference in Lisbon’s skyline.
Aerial view of the National Pantheon framed in the Tagus River.
In this very popular space, new and used objects are sold, antiques and old things, vinyl records, clothes, tiles, old cameras, watches, furniture, and many other trinkets.
On the façade of the monument one can see the sculptures of Santo Condestável, Santa Isabel and Santa Engrácia, by António Duarte.
This decorative program is attributable to the French sculptor Claude Laprade (1687-1740).
Of the sculptural work of entrance of the monument, it is still worth mentioning the bas-relief representing Santa Engrácia.
Not only for its unusual proportions but, above all, for its innovative design and the originality of the undulating walls, the National Pantheon reveals a remarkable baroque plan, unique in Portugal.
It is a building with a Greek cross plan - defining a cross of four equal arms - with curved elevations marked at the angles by turrets.
The interior of the monument is animated by a magnificent work of stonework, enhanced by the coloring of ornamental stones (from Arrábida, Sintra and the Alentejo region of Estremoz, Borba and Vila Viçosa) and geometrical layout, creating the impression of a massive space.
In the interior angles of the church are represented Santo António, São João de Brito, São Teotónio and São João de Deus, by the sculptor Leopoldo de Almeida.
Sculpture of São Teotónio (detail).
The central body seen from the High-Choir.
The National Pantheon is surmounted by a majestic dome that rises to 80 ms of height.
18 th Century Organ manufactured by Joaquim António Peres Fontanes.
Detail of the gilt carving of the organ.
A model of the National Pantheon made by João Laerte, in about 1965. The model was made of plaster and wood.
Artefacts used for celebrating the inaugural mass of the National Pantheon at December 7, 1966.
Direção-Geral do Património Cultural - Arquivo de Documentação Fotográfica (ADF) e Sistema de Informação para o Património Arquitectónico (SIPA).