Centuries - Personalities - Signatures
According to the regulation in 1608, the crown and coronation regalia were transported to a tower–which was built for this reason–in the castle of Pressburg, under the guardiancy of permanent Crown Guard. They placed records into the chest of the regalia, which documented the content and the reasons at each opening. These documents and parliament diaries revealed that the chest had to be forced open violently in 1683 and in 1784, because the key for the chest was lost.
Samples of the coronation, or offertory coins from 1741. From 1608 till 1784, the Holy crown was kept at the corner-tower of the caste of Pressburg under the protection of the Crown Guard. In 1782, Joseph II decided that the crown, like the other royal regalia of the Habsburg Monarchy, had to be transferred to Vienna. The transportation occurred in 1784. The emperor declared: “there is no worthier place to be find for it, and where the king is, there shall be the crown as well”.
The displacement of the crown caused strong dissent, so people enthusiastically celebrated its return on the occasion of the coronation of Leopold II in 1790. At that time, the last coronation was more than half century ago, so they followed the ceremony of the last coronation in 1741, including the sample of the offertory coin. Smaller tokens, scattered to the mass, and offertory coins were made. Latter were made of gold and silver, and were based on the heavy gold medal, originally made for the Church. These were given to an exclusive, distinguished noble circle.
The Ordinances of the Diet of Ónod on the dethronement of the House of Habsburgs, on the resolution of economic difficulties with laws, created for the strengthening of the army and the state organization, and on the deflation of copper currencies and their gradual withdrawal from the market, because they led to economic disruption and collapse.
On the decision, the Royal Locotential Council informed the Hungarian authorities through the medium of the Hungarian Royal Chancellery in Vienna, ergo the empress transferred the rights without parliamentary approval. A law passed in 1741, made it possible to her to do so (1741 Act IV.).
From this point, a period of nearly fifteen years of co-regency began, during which the Holy Roman Emperor was responsible for military affairs of the Habsburg Monarchy, but in all other cases, the final decision was made by Maria Theresa.
This online exhibition is curated by László Sándor Németh with help of Gergő Paukovics and Ábel Takács.
The content of the exhibition is based on the temporary exhibition "Their Traces: Centuries-Personalities-Signatures", held at the National Archives of Hungary, Budapest from 15 March 2016 to 15 March 2018.
For more information please visit
NYOMOT HAGYTAK | THEIR TRACES