On 14th August 1905, a number of prominent people of Bombay gathered at the Town Hall and resolved to erect a Memorial to the visit of the Prince of Wales (later King George V) in the form of a public museum which, would be named after him. The meeting was attended by Sir Pherozeshah Mehta, Justice Badrudin Tyabji, Narotamdas Gokuldas, Justice Chandavarkar, Sasson J. David and many other dignitaries known for their outstanding contributions in their respective fields and also in the development of the island of Bombay.
The Foundation Stone of the museum was laid by the Prince of Wales on 11th November 1905 and the museum was named the Prince of Wales Museum of Western India. For a long time, people had also felt the need for a good museum in the city and finally, the museum was established by the public contribution aided by the then Government of the Bombay Presidency.
This memorial in the form of a museum was to be erected on the plot of land known as the Crescent Site on the southern tip of the island. The architect of the building, George Wittet, was selected after an open competition in 1909. Wittet is known for the Indo-Saracenic style of architecture of which this museum is one of the best examples. The Indo-Saracenic style combines Hindu and Saracenic architectural forms, at times incorporating some elements of Western architecture. The Indian pillared hall, the arched pavilion, and the dome rising above the huge intersecting arches form a beautiful geometrical pattern–all these together make the Museum building a typical example of the Indo-Saracenic style. Small jalis for light and wind add to the grandeur of the building. George Wittet skillfully incorporated the original wooden arched pavilion purchased from a royal house (wada) at Nasik in Maharashtra, as a circular railing on the first floor of the building. The dome of this building is designed after the Gol Gumbaz of Bijapur and the finial is copied from the Taj at Agra.
The building was completed in 1914 but it opened to the public much later on 10th January 1922. Till then it was used by the military as a hospital and for the Children’s Welfare Exhibitions.
Many things have changed since then. Bombay is now known as Mumbai and the name of the Prince of Wales Museum of Western India is changed to the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya. Set against a well-laid-out garden which retains its original plan even today, the museum is an important Grade I Heritage building in the city.