The Moravian Gallery in Brno, the second largest Art Museum in the Czech Republic, is exceptional for the wide range of artistic disciplines it covers. It is the only institution in the country collecting visual art that is concerned with painting, drawing, graphic art and sculpture - from the past and the present - as well as photography, applied art and design.
The Moravian Gallery in Brno sets out to present visual culture from within the Czech Republic in a European context, both through permanent and temporary exhibitions. To achieve its goals it works together with a number of institutions at home and abroad and participates in international projects. At a global level the most renowned event organized by the Moravian Gallery in Brno is International Biennale of Graphic Design taking place here since 1963.
The temporary displays and permanent exhibitions are enriched by an accompanying programme of lectures, guided tours, workshops, concerts and performances created to suit the whole rostrum of visitors. Special attention is paid to children, whether visiting individually or as school groups.
A testimonial to museum's accessibility is a collection of art for the blind and poory sighted and related exhibition projects such as Possible Messages and Invisible Cause.
The Moravian Gallery in Brno is a research organisation whose main purpose is to carry out basic research, applied research or experimental development, and to disseminate their results by means of education, publications or transfer of technologies. Founded in Brno in 1961 by amalgamating the Museum of Aplied Arts and the Picture Gallery of the Moravian Museum, it is housed in three centrally located and architecturally impressive biuldings.
Originally an apartment house built in 1873-1874 in the Late Renaissance style of Nothern Italy for the Brno politician Alois Pražák, it was designed by the famous architect Theophil von Hansen who is also one of the creators of the Ringstrasse in Vienna. Together with the neighbouring Besední dům, the Pražák Palace constitues one of he most remarkable Neo-Renaissance architectural complexes in Moravia.
The Pražák Palace houses a permanent exhibition of 20th Century Czech Art as well as temporary exhibitions of modern and contemporary art. The latest trends in the art scene are put on show in the Atrium, Space for a Single Artwork and the Courtyard of the Pražák Palace.
The Pražák Palace houses a specialist library and study room, open to the public since 1883 with no interruption. It offers a possibility to study art historical journals and publications, as well as specialist literature from related disciplines. The building is also the seat of the headquarters of the Moravian Gallery in Brno.
Museum of Applied Arts
The monumental, quasi-historical building on the Brno ring road was purpose-built in 1882 to accommodate the oldest museum of applied arts in Bohemia and Moravia, and was considerably extended six years later. After WWII the building was adapted to plans by the leading functionalist architect Bohuslav Fuchs. The restoration project, designed by Ivan Koleček, Viktor Rudiš and Zdeňka Vydrová and completed in 2001, was received with great public acclaim.
The museum houses a permanent exhibition of applied arts from the Middle Ages to the present day, comprised of collections of glass, ceramics and porcelain, textiles, furniture and metalware. The building also contains rooms for temporary exhibitions, the Camera, an exhibition facility dedicated exclusively to photography, and Respirium – a space for contemporary design.
The Museum of Applied Arts has a lecture room seating 70 people. The backup facilities for lecturing are provided by the Children's Studio.
The history of this remarkable Baroque complex in Brno dates back to the mid-14th century. However, the present appearance of the former Augustinian monastery is in fact a result of its rebuilding in Baroque style by Moritz Grimm from the mid-18th century. Following the reforms introduced by Emperor Joseph II the monks were replaced by officers of the local government and of the Estates who resided there until well after the end of WWI.
Today, the Governor's Palace offers a permanent exhibition of art from the Gothic period to the 19th century, which includes the Drawing and Graphic Cabinet and a spaces for temporary displays. The Governor's Palace incorporates a baroque hall with a capacity of 150 seats, a museum shop and a café.