The Archaeological Museum of Seville has its origins in the late 19th century with the creation of a public collection of antiquities, mostly taken from the Roman city of Itálica. It was consolidated and extended in the mid-20th century when it moved from the former Convent of La Merced to its current site, namely the Fine Arts Pavilion built by Aníbal González for the Ibero-American Exhibition of 1929 and ceded by Seville City Council.
The museum has three floors: The basement has ten rooms open to the public which exhibit tangible evidence of the different societies that succeeded each other during Prehistory and Protohistory in the area we know today as the province of Seville. The ground floor, with eighteen rooms, features the Roman Era, Late Antiquity and the Middle Ages up to the Modern Age. The top floor houses the Library, Temporary Exhibition Rooms, Events Room and in-house working areas: Management, Administration, Research, Conservation, Restoration and Promotional Activities.
Main collections: Prehistory, Protohistory, notably the Final Bronze Age, with elements of the Phoenician and Tartessian cultures. Roman collections most of which come from Itálica, with an important display of statues from the time of Hadrian. There are also medieval, Visigothic and Islamic pieces. The room dedicated to the Carambolo Treasure is currently located on the first floor.