The main building and most of the Museum’s departments are located in a historic tenement house which was built at the beginning of the 20th century. Its exclusive premises were once occupied by wealthy citizens of the city. Having appreciated the building’s virtues, the Local Government in Katowice decided to allocate the House to the Museum in 1979. In order to faithfully reconstruct middle-class interiors, a permanent exhibition was created in situ.
For further information, reservations for guided tours, museum classes, workshops in the Tenement House at ks. J. Szafranka 9, please contact us at : tel. 32 256 18 10 ext.. 117; email@example.com
PERMANENT EXHIBITION: FROM THE HISTORY OF KATOWICE
The exhibition is devoted to remarkable figures and land - mark events that made the history of Katowice. The city’s rural beginnings and subsequent major changes relating to industrial development are explained in an intelligible man - ner. The exhibits as well as the use of multimedia facilitate tracing the history of Katowice – from a small settlement to a city.
INSIDE THE TENEMENT: DAILY LIFE AND ENTERTAINMENT and AT THE NEIGHBOURS, IN THE SALON AND IN THE KITCHEN
The exhibition presents two model apartments from the turn of the 19th and 20th century shown in the original interior of a tenement which dates back to 1910. The exhibition concept has been predetermined by the city’s pre-war history. Therefore, by using the natural space of the tenement with preserved original features, we were able to restore two locations: an apartment of an upper-class family and the other one belonging to a middle-class family.