Wedding Chamber at the Palace of Earthly Tranquility (Kunning gong) (2016) by The Palace MuseumThe Palace Museum
The Palace of Earthly Tranquility (Kunning gong) was built for the chief consort of the emperor.
It was at once the Shamanism sacrificial hall and the imperial bridal chamber.
In Qing times, the empress did not live here. It was the bridal chamber for the Kangxi (r. 1662-1722), Tongzhi (1862-1874), Guangxu (r. 1875-1908), and the abdicated Xuantong (r. 1909-1911) emperors.
The couples only spent their first two days of marriage in this palace.
It still retains the original décor today.