The Primary School

A Place of Education, Becomes the Place of Suffering, Pain and Disaster

By Municipal Museum of the Kalavritan Holocaust

Municipal Museum of Kalavritan Holocaust

Kalavryta (1910)Municipal Museum of the Kalavritan Holocaust

The area where the building was erected was at the time quite a few meters away from the village, close to the railway station.

Primary School of Kalavryta (1910) by Photo Stolidis.Municipal Museum of the Kalavritan Holocaust

The Primary School of Kalavryta (1906/1910) by Gazis N.Municipal Museum of the Kalavritan Holocaust

The Primary School was constructed at the beginning of the 20th century, funding by a Greek benefactor Andreas Syggros. It is a typical four-class school with a neoclassic morphological features and a specific typology.

Kalavryta. The School. (1906/1910) by Gazis N.Municipal Museum of the Kalavritan Holocaust

It was built by the first state programme for the construction of schools, which was configured by the lawmaker of the Ministry of Education Dimitrios Kallias and was enacted by a Royal Law in 1895.

Primary School of Kalavryta by Gazis N.Municipal Museum of the Kalavritan Holocaust

Since the first years of its operation, was fully equipped with teaching aids for historical, practicval, technical and lanquage subjects.

Graduation certificate (1941-12-16) by Municipal School of KalavrytaMunicipal Museum of the Kalavritan Holocaust

Prisoners of War (1941-08-07)Municipal Museum of the Kalavritan Holocaust

Military Camp

During the 2nd World War and the Axis Occupation, its operation was interrupted. It was used as a military camp by the Italian Occupation Forces (picture: Prisoners of war in the courtyard). The school was opened only from September to December 1943.

Primary School of KalavrytaMunicipal Museum of the Kalavritan Holocaust

Operation "Kalavryta"

On December 13th, 1943 the first act of the Holocaust was to be played in this building. The German Occuparion Forces gathered the families in the school, which was guareded by armed soldiers. In the corridor inside the building the separation of the families was taking place. Men and boys were led to the Place of Execution. Women and children were hostages inside the building.

The Primary School (1945/1946)Municipal Museum of the Kalavritan Holocaust

The breakout

The city was set on fire, women and children were hostages inside the school. Fear that the building would also be on fire was spread among the women. The mothers tried to break windows, and pushing the doors, they tried to to get out and save their children. Eventually, women and children escaped from the building.

Municipal Museum of Kalavritan Holocaust (2005-01)Municipal Museum of the Kalavritan Holocaust

Municipal Museum of Kalavritan Holocaust

The building had the same fate as the other buildings of the city. It was destroyed on December 123th, 1943. It was rebuilt in 1950 and was operating as a school until early 90's. Since 2005, the building houses the Municipal Museum of Kalavritan Holocaust.

Credits: Story

This exhibit was created by the Municipal Museum of Kalavritan Holocaust.
For more information visit: www.dmko.gr

Credits: All media
The story featured may in some cases have been created by an independent third party and may not always represent the views of the institutions, listed below, who have supplied the content.
Google apps