Welcome to Kloster Eberbach!
In 1136, a group of twelve monks under the leadership of Abbot Ruthard arrived in the new branch of the Cistercian Order in the Rheingau.
They came from Clairvaux in Burgundy and when they arrived they found an existing settlement, which was first established by Augustinians and from 1131 by Benedictines.
This and much more opens our monastery tours ...
In 1803 the monastery is secularized. The Cistercians leave the abbey, much is sold and the history of the monastery begins to change.
The 80 meter long Cistercian church is very impressive in its simplicity.
It is a romanesque three-aisled pillar basilica. Gothic elements were added later.
Religious services are rarely celebrated here. Today, this is mainly a venue for concerts.
Cloister Garden (22 September 2014) by ErnstWrbaEberbach Monastery
The cloister is part of the central complex of the monastery. Here, only the monks had access.
The alcove houses the graves of the first Eberbach abbots.
The essential areas for the life of the monks where built around the cloister.
Chapter House Ceiling (13 September 2010) by HeibelEberbach Monastery
The chapter house served as a meeting place for the monks. They sat on the stone benches daily to hear a chapter from the Rule of St. Benedict.
The overall impression of the room is dominated by a star vault, with a single pillar in the middle.
Monks' Dining Hall (1 November 2011) by HeibelEberbach Monastery
The dining room is the only one in the monastery that looks like a castle with its baroque influences. It was rebuilt in the early 18th century.
It features a Renaissance 17th-century bookcase adorned with a monastery emblem.
Monks' Dormitory (2 November 2006) by HeibelEberbach Monastery
The Gothic dormitory of the monks was expanded from the middle of the 13th century to 74 meters in length. Because of a visual illusion, it appears from the staircase even longer to be than it already is.
In a side room of the monks' dormitory, which is the writing room of the monks in the movie "The Name of the Rose", a video installation can be seen.
Next to the monks' dormitory is the abbey museum. There the history of the Cistercians is exhibited. There are exhibits such as this "Grisaille".
The Cabinet Cellar was probably used as a scriptorium in the early days of the monastery. During the 15th century, the windows were boarded up and the room converted into a wine cellar.
Cloister Alley (22 October 2015) by SchellschmidtEberbach Monastery
The cloister alley separated the cloister, which was the area of the monks from the area of the lay brothers, which was also called "Konversen".
While the monks pursued more spiritual activities, the lay brothers usually worked as farmers or craftsmen in the monastery property.
There are currently twelve historic wine cellars in the dining hall of the lay brothers. The oldest wine press with the number 10 is from 1668.
Portal (4 June 2014) by Lisa FarkasEberbach Monastery
"Porta patet, cor magis": The door stands open, but the heart even more so. Come and visit Kloster Eberbach!