beauty has inspired visitors and artists for centuries and has
continued to attract artists of all kinds because of the
our Town's landscape and built heritage.
All of the paintings in this exhibit are inspired or created by artists who attempted to capture the beauty of Niagara's landscape or built heritage. The Niagara River, as seen in this view from Queenston Heights, is often portrayed.
View of Fort Niagara. (1865/1865) by John Herbert CaddyNiagara-on-the-Lake Museum
Fort Niagara, which stands prominently on the American side of the Niagara River, has been a source of inspiration to many artists. Each artists portrays the fort a little differently.
Battle of Fort George (1817/1817) by UnknownNiagara-on-the-Lake Museum
This painting depicts the American attack on Niagara during the War of 1812 with the river as a divide between the two warring nations.
Can you see the difference between the fort in the previous painting and this one?
Town of Niagara (Niagara-on-the-Lake).
Butler’s Barracks. (1854/1855) by Captain Taylor.Niagara-on-the-Lake Museum
For years Niagara has been a military town. The military buildings have been a source for inspiration to many artists.
Colonel's Residence. (1854/1854) by Captain Taylor.Niagara-on-the-Lake Museum
A Happy Christmas and a Bright New Year. (1899/1899) by Edmund Wyly Grier (1862—1957)Niagara-on-the-Lake Museum
The Old Barn. (1984/1985) by Alma KingdonNiagara-on-the-Lake Museum
An example of a local handmade building.
Fort George Gun Powder Magazine (1921/1921) by L.L. A.K. HoodNiagara-on-the-Lake Museum
Courthouse and Fire Department Tower (1948/1948) by John Freeling HuntNiagara-on-the-Lake Museum
Some structures, like this one, no longer stand.
The hose tower was built behind the Town Hall/ former Court House.
It was destroyed by a fire in 1953.
Rural Matinee (1940/1960) by Captain John D. ShaweNiagara-on-the-Lake Museum
Some buildings have changed over the years. The front facade on the former Brock theater has changed.
The facade today.
Milloy House. by George Bruenech (1851-1916)Niagara-on-the-Lake Museum
108 Johnson Street. (1933/1935) by H. SewellNiagara-on-the-Lake Museum
Crooks’ House. (1986/1986) by Ken GentNiagara-on-the-Lake Museum
Untitled. (1950/1950)Niagara-on-the-Lake Museum
The construction of Fort Mississauga began in 1814. It was meant as a counter position to the American Fort Niagara on the opposite bank of the Niagara River. The fort was built with an irregular star shape which features a stone “Martello-type” tower. The tower and magazines built into the earthworks incorporated stone and brick rubble salvaged from the town and from the nearby lighthouse. After the War of 1812, the fort was left to deteriorate and was disarmed in 1856.
Fort Mississauga. by Marmaduke Matthews (1837-1913)Niagara-on-the-Lake Museum
In later years, Fort Mississauga was used as a summer training camp for Canadian military.
The Fog Bell. (1886/1886) by Emma Augusta CurrieNiagara-on-the-Lake Museum
Untitled. (1870/1870) by Hannah Catharine Lowe ServosNiagara-on-the-Lake Museum
The site was also used for recreational purposes, including strolling, picnicking and golfing. A nine-hole golf course has existed on the site since the late 1870s. It is currently a National Historic Site.
Sunset of Fort Mississauga. (1908/1908) by G.A. MeagherNiagara-on-the-Lake Museum