Netzley-Yender House

Virtual Tour

Moving the Netzley-Yender House down Ogden Ave. in Lisle (1986) by MLSPThe Museums at Lisle Station Park

Moving the Farmhouse

George and Mary Yender’s son, Andy and his wife Viola, sold the property to a local car dealer and they all worked together to donate the home to the Lisle Park District in 1986.

Netzley-Yender House Move (1986) by MLSPThe Museums at Lisle Station Park

Original location: North side of Ogden Ave. between Western Ave. and Yender Ave.

The Netzley family moved to Lisle from Pennsylvania in 1848.

The Netzley family moved to Lisle from Pennsylvania in 1848. The house they bought burned down about 10 years later, so they built this house. This portion was built first and was used as a kitchen and family room.

Netzley/Yender interior wall (1858) by Netzley familyThe Museums at Lisle Station Park

This framed portion of wall shows the original wall paint from 1858. Various types of wood were used to build homes, so the planks were painted to look the same using a special scoring tool.

This hearth fireplace was used for cooking and heating the room, which is why it has such an open design. The metal arm and fire tools were made by a MLSP volunteer master blacksmith.

The open hearth oven's heat vent allow heat to rise into the children's bedroom and keep them warm during cold nights.

Broken pieces of china were found underneath the home during an archaeological excavation - some charred, others not. Evidence found from these artifacts has been published, helping find better ways of figuring out different sites across the world.

The Double Parlor is two square rooms that contained a temporary wall. The family hosted tea and Church of the Brethren services here. The wallpaper designs were recreated from original pieces still attached to the walls during the building's restoration.

Jacob and Mary Netzley  settled in Lisle with their 10 children, choosing the community because they were professional weavers: they needed land to raise sheep and farm crops to eat.

This bedroom was where the parents of the household slept. The side door leading outside allows for adults tending the farm fields or home garden to quickly access these outdoor areas.

Yender family bed (1858) by N/AThe Museums at Lisle Station Park

Frank and Frances Yender immigrated with their family to Lisle in 1844 from Alsace, France. They lived on a farm near the river, north of Southwest Plank Road. Their grandson, George, purchased the 
George and Mary's Yender's original bed. Three of their four sons were born here.

Netzley/Yender stairs (1858) by Netzley familyThe Museums at Lisle Station Park

These stairs from the Double Parlor to the second floor are original to the building. A "carpet runner" was painted on instead of using real carpet as a more affordable option.

Netzley/Yender interior wall (1858) by Netzley familyThe Museums at Lisle Station Park

The attic was used for storage and provided a winter home for pollinators. Bees could fly through slots and stay for season, then begin pollinating crops earlier. This interior wall construction is lathe and plaster, similar to those in Beaubien Tavern.

The Summer Kitchen was the third portion of the home to be built. Summer Kitchens are usually not attached to the home, but this one was for convenience. After some fires, the family detached it. Volunteers reattached it when it was moved to its museum site.

The beehive oven is the main feature of the Summer Kitchen and is shaped differently than a hearth oven. Its design pulls heat up through a flue and out of the chimney. This keeps the room cool so that it can be used comfortably during the summer.

Beehive oven fire (1858) by Netzley familyThe Museums at Lisle Station Park

This beehive oven's cooking area is five feet deep, creating hotter and cooler parts of the oven to cook different kinds of foods at the same time. Volunteers still use this oven for demonstrations during events and field trips.

The smoke room was used to preserve food for longer - common before the invention of refrigeration. A fire can be built in the at the bottom left of the beehive oven. Smoke rises through the door into the smoke room. Meats and cheeses were prepared with salt and hung to dry out.

Home Kitchen Garden (1980) by Lisle Heritage Society volunteersThe Museums at Lisle Station Park

Tour Tidbit: Home Kitchen Garden
00:00

Our home garden is a four-square setup. It contains equal sized plots with tiny aisles between them to access the planting areas without stepping on them.

Peonies from Lisle's historic patch Peonies from Lisle's historic patch (1900) by Lisle Park DistricThe Museums at Lisle Station Park

The museum has other garden spaces throughout the site. Some spaces have these annual flowers, called peonies. In the early and mid 1900s, there was a peony patch on the northeast corner of Ogden Avenue and Main Street whose flowers were sent to Chicago and sold.

Credits: Story

The Museums at Lisle Station Park

A cooperative effort of the Lisle Park District, Lisle Heritage Society, and Village of Lisle

921 School Street, Lisle, IL 60532

Find us on Facebook
Twitter and Instagram @LisleMuseum

Phone: 630-968-0499
Email: museum@lisleparkdistrict.org

www.lisleparkdistrict.org/museumsatlislestationpark.html

Credits: All media
The story featured may in some cases have been created by an independent third party and may not always represent the views of the institutions, listed below, who have supplied the content.
Google apps