Families and local communities after the Second World War constructed monuments to all the destroyed villages in order to preserve the memory of the executed civilians.
Operation "Kalavryta" was organized by the 117th Jager Division on December 1943 (December 5,1943 until December 14,1943). The result was the destruction of two monasteries (Monastery of Megalo Spilaio and Monastery of Agia Lavra), most of villages around Kalavryta city and the Kalavryta itself, moreover 696 Greek civilians (men and boys over the age of 12) were executed. Monuments to the Executed were created after the World War II to all the destroyed villages in the province of Kalavryta, in order to preserve the memory of the executed civilians.
This exhibit was created by the Municipal Museum of Kalavritan Holocaust.
For more information visit: www.dmko.gr