The Chicago Defender Newspaper's new headquarters was purchased by its Owner and President John Sengstacke in 1960. Built in 1936 as the Illinois Automobile Club, the building was abandoned as car dealers moved to the suburbs. This move was significant to Black Chicago as well as the Defender's continued coverage of Black America.
Source: The Chicago Defender Archives
Partner: The Obsidian Collection Archives