The adobe structures at Taos Pueblo were built from mud brick using traditional techniques. The individual houses of Taos Pueblo were built side by side, with the use of common walls. They were originally accessed from the rooftop, with a ladder. The doors and larger windows of many of the buildings have been added in recent years. The churches on the other hand, were built stand alone. During the Mexican-American War a group of Mexican and Taos soldiers took refuge in San Geronimo Mission Church at the Pueblo. American troops bombarded the church, killing or capturing the soldiers and destroying the building. Around 1850, a new mission church, San Geronimo, was constructed near the west gate of the pueblo wall.