The museum is located in the northwestern Kyoto, near Kinugasa hill and the area between Kinugasa and Omuro with rich environment of nature and history. Many temples and shrines were built along this road, called "Kinukake-no-michi", including the Kinkakuji temple and the Ninnaji temple, one of the World Cultural Heritage Site. The works of Insho Domoto(1891-1975), the great Nihonga painter, are preserved and displayed in the museum. Although Insho left many works of his carrer, following the various development of his painting style from traditional Japanese paintings to an abstract paintings, those continued stimulating intense for Japanese painting circles. The museum was built in 1966 by Insho Domoto designing it all interior and exterior. The museum was presented to Kyoto Pref. in August, 1991, and was newly opened as "Kyoto Prefectural Insho-domoto Museum of fine Arts" in April, 1992, and has resulted by the end of today.