THE EARTH SCIENCE MUSEUM was created on January 10, 1907, is currently part of the GEOLOGICAL SURVEY OF BRAZIL (SGB - CPRM) and has been established as a decentralized unit since 2021.
The Museum of Earth Sciences is the natural history museum that houses one of the largest collection of fossils in Brazil, with a relevant collection in the areas of paleontology, mineralogy, petrology and meteoritics, in addition to a vast bibliographic and documentary collection, a valuable iconographic collection ( such as maps and photographs) and scientific instruments. Fruit of years of research in mineralogy, geology and paleontology, its collection tells the history of geology and mining in Brazil.
The Museum occupies an area of about 6 thousand m² and is in a privileged location, in one of the main cultural corridors of Rio de Janeiro, in the Urca district.
The Earth Sciences Museum's mission is to research, collect and manage scientific, documentary and instrumental collections of geosciences in general, focusing on the history and present of mining and production of oil and other energy sources, providing the public with access to information and to knowledge through interdisciplinary and interactive programs in communication, education and culture.