This exhibit features watercolor paintings by Mary Ann Judd Johnson which depict historic Lehi and American Fork, Utah buildings, bridges, roads, homes of historic influential individuals, and events.
This watercolor painting depicts the Lehi Hotel located at 394 West Main, Lehi. The hotel was built in 1891 as part of the original Western town's Main Street which bordered the railroad. This historic building can still be seen on Main Street today, but has now been repurposed as a medical clinic.
Lehi Carnegie Library
Lehi Carnegie Library was built in 1926. It was previously housed in the north end of the Lehi City Hall, but the building is now the Veterans Memorial Building and the Hutchings Museum. Carnegie libraries were funded by grants from Andrew Carnegie with this grant totaling $10,000. Carnegie libraries feature an open stack style which meant people could browse the shelves themselves instead of asking a librarian to fetch the book.
John Hutchings' Home
Built in 1905 and still standing in Lehi, Utah. John Hutchings was the founder of the Hutchings Museum in Lehi, and an innovative naturalist and explorer. Before his collection was moved into a museum, it was housed in his own home and yard.
Jordan River Pumps
When the pumps were built, the Jordan River was a central water source for Salt Lake County. This pumping station pumps water from Utah Lake into the Jordan River where it flows north towards Salt Lake City. When all eight units were at full operation, the pumps were moving seven hundred million gallons of water every 24 hours. They were so successful in the early 1900's that substantial amounts of farm land was useable in the Salt Lake Valley.
Jordan River Bridge
Built in 1914, the Jordan River Bridge is still standing. This bridge is a truss bridge, which means the main load bearing structure is the truss, which is a structure of connected elements shown here in the triangular figures.
Lehi Silver Bandwagon
In 1887, the Lehi Silver Band was formed. Originally, it was formed to promote bimetallism, but served the city for years as it played at city celebrations and parades. The Silver Band performed together for roughly 25 years until it was dismantled. The bandwagon was stored for many years out in the open and under the elements where it was damaged and deteriorated. In 1952, the wagon was repainted and in use again until it was officially retired forever in 1976. The bandwagon is now stored permanently at Bandwagon Park in Lehi, Utah.
This scenic loop connects American Fork Canyon to Provo Canyon through a winding, 20 mile road. Traveling through the Unita National Forest, lush vegetation and spectacular views of Mt. Timpanogos are readily available.
Lehi City uses these grounds every year during in the Lehi Roundup along with many other events throughout the year. They were originally built in 1940.
The nearby railroad station, caused a rapid population growth in northeast Lehi. Residents in this area began to desire a school close to them and in 1872, the Northeast School was built with a one room expansion added in 1879. J. Edgar Ross was school master for 29 years. At his retirement in 1897, the schoolhouse was renamed Ross Schoolhouse in his honor. The Schoolhouse was also used for other religious and civic purposes. Church meetings, funeral services, holiday parties, and political meetings were all held in the Ross Schoolhouse. Today it stands as one of the three oldest buildings still standing in Lehi.
Period Home located in Lehi, Utah.
Lehi Memorial Building
The Memorial Building is pictured here in winter. It was built in 1926. Currently the building houses the Hutchings Museum and Veterans Memorial Hall.
Sego Lily School
Built in 1896, this school was in use until 1929 when it was closed and the property auctioned. It was named after Utah's state flower, the sego lily. The original school house accommodated fifty students until an expansion allowed room for two additional grades.
Originally built as a livery station near the railroad, it was repurposed as railroad business declined. In 1873, it was moved to the Tithing Yard and used to store tithing (at the time usually given in donations) from members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Days Saints.
Lehi Primary and Grammar Schools
Each building had eight rooms, and were once located where the Lehi Legacy Center now sits. They were used from 1906-1952 when a fire destroyed the buildings and they were dismantled.
Mary Ann Judd Johnson's Childhood Home
The childhood home of artist of this collection, Mary Judd Johnson. It currently still stands at 296 North Center Street American Fork, UT.
All rights belong to the Hutchings Museum. The artworks were created by Mary Ann Judd Johnson.