Place of Worship in Comiso

History, architecture and curiosity

By Unione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

Church Of Maria Santissima Annunziata (1772 - 1896) by Giovan Battista Cascione VaccariniUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

SS. Annunziata Church

The Basilica was built on the remains of the ancient church of San Nicola di Mira, dating back to 1125. It was built on the temple of Diana the Huntress, not so far from the water source and from the Roman baths of the imperial era whose remains are still visible in the homony

Church Of Maria Santissima Annunziata (1772 - 1896) by Giovan Battista Cascione VaccariniUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

The earthquake of 1693 destroyed a large part of the church which was almost rebuilt from scratch in 1772.

Church of Maria Santissima Annunziata - central nave, unknown, 1772 - 1896, From the collection of: Unione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa
,
Church of Maria Santissima Annunziata - apse, G. La Leta e M. Sparavilla, 18th century, From the collection of: Unione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa
Show lessRead more

The church has three naves with a barrel vault sustained by ten large arches which lay on cylindrical columns. The church has a Latin cross plan, with the majestic dome.

Church of Maria Santissima Annunziata - apse (18th century) by G. La Leta e M. SparavillaUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

The apse

In the apse and in the spandrels of the dome there are frescoes by G. La Leta and M. Sparavilla.

Church of Maria Santissima Annunziata - baptistery (1912-1913) by Mario RutelliUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

The baptistery

A white marble and bronze baptistery, made by Mario Rutelli in 1912 and inaugurated on August 15, 1913

Church of Maria Santissima Annunziata - organ (1922) by Polizzi brothersUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

The organ

A large tire-tubular organ made by Polizzi brothers of Modica in 1922

Church Of San Biagio (18th century) by unknownUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

San Biagio Church

The previous Romanesque church dedicated to San Biagio the Elder was enlarged in the early 1500s and then destroyed by the earthquake of 1693. Only the central nave retains its original structure.

Image missing

Interior

At the beginning of the 1500 it was enlarged, but, destroyed by the 1693's aerthquake. Then it was partly renovated. Only the central nave preserved its original structure.

The Church Of Santa Maria Della Gratia (Former Capuchin Church) - facade (17th century) by unknownUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

Santa Maria della Grazia Church

The church was erected in 1614 on the last soft slopes of the Iblei before they merge with the Ippari Valley south of the city, just outside what was once inhabited at the time.

The Church Of Santa Maria Della Gratia (Former Capuchin Church) (18th century) by unknownUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

In the past, the church of “Santa Maria della Gratia” was not only considered a cradle of the Christian faith, but also a refuge for revolutionaries.

The Church Of Santa Maria Della Gratia (Former Capuchin Church) - interior (18th century) by unknownUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

The crypt

In the '700, the church was leaned crypt and a mortuary chapel, in whose walls there are niches where the remains of friars and bourgeois rest. 

The Church Of Santa Maria Della Gratia (Former Capuchin Church) - interior (18th century) by unknownUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

Here is preserved a drilled skull from the 1700s: an artefact of important historical and scientific value because it testifies to a surgery three centuries ago, a forerunner of modern neurosurgery.

Church of San Leonardo, unknown, 13th century, From the collection of: Unione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa
,
Sanctuary of St. Francis and the Immacolata, unknown, 14th century, From the collection of: Unione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa
,
Church of San Giuseppe (Also Known As San Giusippuzzu), unknown, 18th century, From the collection of: Unione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa
Show lessRead more

Church of San Leonardo (13th century) by unknownUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

San Leonardo Church

Following the expansion of the homonymous district, where an hermitage was located (1265), the church was originally dedicated to Our Lady “Mater Puerum.”

Sanctuary Of San Francesco All’Immacolata - the façade (14th century)Unione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

San Francesco all'Immacolata Church

This is a National Monument, built in the XIV century. In 1478, the Naselli's family gave the little old church to the Minor Friars of the convent, who held it until they were suppressed as religious congregations (1866).

Church of San Giuseppe (Also Known As San Giusippuzzu) - frontal with stairs (18th century) by unknownUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

San Giuseppe Church

Located outside the city walls, it is a small church probably built in the second half of the seventeenth century to meet the needs of the new neighborhood.

Church of Santa Maria delle Stelle (1694 - 1699) by unknownUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

Santa Maria delle Stelle Church

Destroyed and re-built on the XV century, it was damaged by the 1693's earthquake. The reconstruction began the year after, under the direction of P. Porcelli, for the wish of count Baldassarre V. It was consecrate in 1699.

Church of Santa Maria delle Stelle - central nave (1694 - 1699) by unknownUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

The interior

The church was built following the draws of Rosario Gagliardi, the same architect of S. Giorgio Church in Ragusa Ibla and Santa Maria Maggiore Church in Ispica.

Church of Santa Maria delle Stelle (17th century) by E. LucentiUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

The Comiso craftsmen improved themselves by working on the reconstruction of the Matrice but today we know only the name of the sculptor E. Lucenti, who carved the mouldings of the dome.

Church of Santa Maria delle Stelle - ceiling (17th century) by Antonio IbertiUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

The ceiling

Antonio Iberti – known as Barbalonga - created the wooden ceiling in the first half of the seventeenth century. It remained intact after the 1693's earthquake 

The Peace Pagoda - frontal with stairs (1997) by Gyosho MorishitaUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

The pagoda of the peace

The Pagoda is a Buddhist temple and a symbol of peace.

The Peace Pagoda - frontal with stairs (1997) by Gyosho MorishitaUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

The Japanese monk Morishita consecrated the temple on 7 July 1997.

The Peace Pagoda - statue (1997) by Gyosho MorishitaUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

The feast of flowers (also known as the Anniversary of Buddha’s birth) is celebrated on April and held during the first or the second Sunday of the month.

Credits: Story

Ringraziamenti per la collaborazione: Pro Loco Comiso, Comune di Comiso, Pro Loco Ispica, Pro loco Mazzarelli, Pro Loco Chiaramonte Gulfi, Pro Loco Vittoria, Pro Loco Monterosso Almo, Pro Loco Acate, Pro Loco Ragusa.

Credits: All media
The story featured may in some cases have been created by an independent third party and may not always represent the views of the institutions, listed below, who have supplied the content.
Google apps