Rosario Gagliardi, the Architect of Post-Earthquake Reconstruction

History and curiosities of the churches of Rosario Gagliardi in Ragusa

By Unione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

Church Of Santa Maria Maggiore (18th century) by Rosario GagliardiUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

Rosario Gagliardi is considered one of the undisputed protagonists of the Baroque reconstruction following the terrible earthquake that shook eastern Sicily in 1693.

Image missing

The Cathedral of San Giorgio in Ragusa Ibla

 The church of San Giorgio is located in the heart of the historic city. It stands not only as the symbolic monument of the city but also as a masterpiece of Sicilian late Baroque architecture.  

The Cathedral Of San Giorgio - Central Door (1793) by Vincenzo FiorelloUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

Il Duomo di San Giorgio a Ragusa Ibla       

The project was entrusted to Gagliardi in 1738. Of the six statues in the drawing, four are made: St. George and St. James in the first order, St. Paul and St. Peter in the second.

The Cathedral Of San Giorgio - Interior (1739) by Rosario GagliardiUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

The shipyard did not see interruptions until the 80s, with a synergistic commitment between designer and workers, qualifying the limestone and black stone of Ragusa both on the façade and in its interior.

The Cathedral Of San Giorgio - Painting Of San Giorgio And The Dragon, Dario Querci, 1866, From the collection of: Unione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa
,
The Cathedral Of San Giorgio - The Urn, Salvatore La Villa, 1804-1808, From the collection of: Unione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa
Show lessRead more

Inside, the church houses remarkable works, among which we find the canvas of San Giorgio and the Dragon by Dario Querci and the Reliquary Urn of neoclassical architectural style by Salvatore La Villa.

The Museum Of San Giorgio’S Cathedral (2009)Unione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

The museum

In 2009, it was built a museum nearby the church. The museum offers a collection of sacred objects and shows the history of Ragusa in the last centuries.

The Museum Of San Giorgio’S Cathedral - Foreground (2009)Unione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

Inside there is the documentary section that exhibits the original projects of the Duomo made by Rosario Gagliardi, showing how the church was built in harmony with the project.

Church Of Santa Maria Maggiore (18th century) by Rosario GagliardiUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

Santa Maria Maggiore Church in Ispica

The Basilica is one of the main late Baroque and Rococo culture proof of south-eastern Sicily.

Church Of Santa Maria Maggiore - Christ At The Column (18th century) by unknownUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

The Christ at the column

The church was built after the 1693's earthquake and in order to preserve the simulacrum of Christ to the column that had been saved in the ancient church of S. Maria della Cava, a church located in the valley of Cava d'Ispica.

The simulacrum represents Christ in the moment of the scourging. Over the centuries, many restorations have been made and it is difficult to determine the dating. It would appear that the torso and head are from the late medieval period.

Church Of Santa Maria Maggiore - Triumph of the Eucharistic Table, Olivio Sozzi, 1761-1765, From the collection of: Unione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa
,
Church Of Santa Maria Maggiore - Triumph of Mary the Assumption, Olivio Sozzi, 1761-1765, From the collection of: Unione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa
,
Church Of Santa Maria Maggiore - Triumph of the Church over heresies, Olivio Sozzi, 1761 - 1765, From the collection of: Unione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa
Show lessRead more

In 1908, the church was proclaimed a National Monument for the presence of frescoes made by the Catanese painter Olivio Sozzi.

Church of Santa Maria delle Stelle (1694 - 1699) by unknownUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

The Church of Santa Maria delle Stelle in Comiso

After the earthquake of 1693 the church was rebuilt inspired by the drawings that Rosario Gagliardi left to the parish, which still preserves them today.

Church of Santa Maria delle Stelle (1694 - 1699) by unknownUnione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa

The church was rebuilt in 1699. Of the original construction remain the pillars and the sixth pointed of the central nave. The dome, of neo-Gothic style, was completed in 1894, while the façade and the bell tower were completed only in 1936.

Church of Santa Maria delle Stelle - ceiling, Antonio Iberti, 17th century, From the collection of: Unione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa
,
Church of Santa Maria delle Stelle - central nave, unknown, 1694 - 1699, From the collection of: Unione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa
,
Church of Santa Maria delle Stelle, E. Lucenti, 17th century, From the collection of: Unione Nazionale Pro Loco d'Italia di Ragusa
Show lessRead more

The craftsmens of Comiso refined their art by working on the reconstruction of the Matrix.  The precious wooden ceiling is the work of Antonio Iberti from Messina.

Credits: All media
The story featured may in some cases have been created by an independent third party and may not always represent the views of the institutions, listed below, who have supplied the content.
Google apps