“Does anybody have information…?”

The Long Search for the Marcuse Family

Portrait of Georg Marcuse (1946-1948) by unknownJewish Museum Berlin


In summer 1945, only a few weeks after liberation from the Nazi dictatorship, Georg Marcuse filed a missing person inquiry at the Berlin Jewish Community. He had not heard anything from his younger brother Erich and his family since the fall of the previous year. The mother of the two brothers had returned to Berlin from Theresienstadt feeling weak, but safe and sound. Meanwhile there was still no trace of Erich Marcuse, his wife Johanna and their six-year-old son Peter.

Missing person notice Missing person notice (1945-05/1945-09) by Georg MarcuseJewish Museum Berlin

Georg Marcuse had only a single lead: the family’s deportation from Theresienstadt ghetto in the fall of 1944. Were they still alive? Who had seen them? The missing person notice was posted to find answers to these questions. People were still returning from the concentration camps “in the East.” Georg Marcuse still cherished hope.

Marriage certificate of Erich Marcuse and Johanna, née Hoffmann (1937-05-11) by Berlin Register OfficeJewish Museum Berlin

The Marcuse Family

Erich and Johanna Marcuse had been married for eight years. They probably met while they were working for the social welfare service. Erich’s brother Georg Marcuse and a colleague of Johanna’s acted as witnesses at their wedding in May 1937 at Berlin Registration Office. Johanna herself had no close family: she was born out of wedlock and her mother stayed single all her life.

Erich and Johanna Marcuse with their son Peter (1938) by unknownJewish Museum Berlin

Trusting in the future, Erich and Johanna Marcuse started a family in 1938 with the birth of their son Peter.

Birth certificate of Peter Marcuse (1938-08-05) by Berlin-Wedding Register OfficeJewish Museum Berlin

The Marcuses were still free to choose the name they wanted for their son. The law on changing family names and first names was passed two weeks after Peter’s birth. From then on, Jewish parents were obliged to name their newborn Jewish babies from a compulsory list of first names that stigmatized them as Jews.

Georg Marcuse’s notification of release from the assembly point (1943-03-05) by GestapoJewish Museum Berlin


For all their intense efforts, the Marcuse family was unable to leave Germany in time. Georg Marcuse was at least able to avoid deportation to a concentration camp because he was married to a non-Jewish woman. He had to do forced labor and was arrested during the so-called Factory Action on 27 February 1943, but was released shortly afterward. But his mother Rebecka was deported to Theresienstadt ghetto in March 1943. Erich Marcuse and his family arrived there just three months later.

Note concerning dispatched postcards and parcels Note concerning dispatched postcards and parcels (1943/44) by Georg MarcuseJewish Museum Berlin

Last Link With Home

After the family had been torn apart, the members kept in contact by sending postcards. The first card from the relatives back home arrived in December 1943. It helped that Erich Marcuse was assigned to work in the ghetto’s mailroom. Georg also regularly sent parcels from Berlin to Theresienstadt containing urgently needed items.

Postcard to Georg and Margarete Marcuse Postcard to Georg and Margarete Marcuse, Erich Marcuse, 1944-01-04, From the collection of: Jewish Museum Berlin
Show lessRead more

Erich Marcuse still had hopes of getting out of the camp somehow. After all, his wife Johanna was the illegitimate daughter of a non-Jewish man. Her status under Nazi racial law as a person of “mixed race, first degree” should have protected her from deportation. Hoping to save at least his wife and their son, Erich asked his brother to obtain the missing papers needed for verification. Georg Marcuse actually sent the documents of parentage to Theresienstadt by registered mail.

Postcard to Georg and Margarete Marcuse Postcard to Georg and Margarete Marcuse, Erich Marcuse, 1944-06-06, From the collection of: Jewish Museum Berlin
Show lessRead more

It took weeks for another message to arrive from Theresienstadt. Meanwhile the Marcuses tried to preserve the last vestiges of normality in the ghetto. But the documents they were desperately waiting for never arrived.

Postcard to Georg and Margarete Marcuse Postcard to Georg and Margarete Marcuse (1944-11-06) by Rebecka MarcuseJewish Museum Berlin

After a long interval, Georg Marcuse in Berlin received a card from his mother in November 1944. Her careful phrasing concealed the hidden message that Erich and his family had been deported to an unknown destination. “Regretfully no news of Erich and his family,” she wrote.

Portrait of Rebecka Marcuse, née Gottfeld (1949-03) by unknownJewish Museum Berlin

Liberation and Return

The Theresienstadt ghetto was liberated in May 1945. 67-year-old Rebecka Marcuse was among the survivors. It took several months, however, until she could return home to her family in Berlin.

Postcard to Georg and Margarete Marcuse Postcard to Georg and Margarete Marcuse, Rebecka Marcuse, 1945-06-12, From the collection of: Jewish Museum Berlin
Show lessRead more

The cards Rebecka Marcuse wrote to her family back home always expressed hope that she would find Erich’s family safe and well when she returned to Berlin. But as there was no trace and no news of her missing relatives, her joyful anticipation gradually became mingled with worry.

Letter to Georg Marcuse (1945-09-06) by Jewish Community of BerlinJewish Museum Berlin

The Search

When she finally returned to Berlin, Rebecka Marcuse could embrace only her son Georg and his wife Margarete. The few survivors who returned from the concentration camps had no news of Erich, Johanna, and Peter. Georg Marcuse began actively to look for them. He started with the missing persons notice in the Jewish Community but it brought no results. In April 1945, the International Red Cross set up a tracing service and other organizations soon followed suit. In the subsequent years, the Marcuses focused all their hopes on the work of these services.

Postcard to Georg Marcuse Postcard to Georg Marcuse, Jewish Community of Berlin, 1946-08-29, From the collection of: Jewish Museum Berlin
Show lessRead more

By summer 1946 the Jewish Community still had no information about the fate of Erich Marcuse and his family. By then various tracing services existed for them to consult.

Letter to Rebecka Marcuse Letter to Rebecka Marcuse, Tracing service for missing Germans, 1949-05-06, From the collection of: Jewish Museum Berlin
Show lessRead more

Four years after the end of the war the authorities were finally able to discover, first of all, the fate of Erich Marcuse. He had perished in Dachau concentration camp shortly before the liberation. The date of death was later revised again.

Certificate concerning the deportation and death of Erich Marcuse (1972-09-08) by International Tracing ServiceJewish Museum Berlin


The family finally established the fate of Erich Marcuse with absolute certainty in 1972. The Red Cross International Tracing Service reported that Erich Marcuse was separated from his wife and child and deported to Auschwitz in September 1944. Around the same time that Johanna and Peter also arrived in Auschwitz, he was deported again, this time to Dachau. He spent the last months of his life in Kaufering, a network of subsidiary concentration camps of Dachau. The exact circumstances of his death remain obscure.

Certificate concerning the deportation of Johanna Marcuse, International Tracing Service, 1972-12-04, From the collection of: Jewish Museum Berlin
Show lessRead more

That same year the family finally learned what had happened to Johanna and Peter Marcuse. After their deportation from Theresienstadt, they were murdered in Auschwitz—probably directly after they arrived.

Certificate concerning the deportation of Peter Marcuse, International Tracing Service, 1972-12-04, From the collection of: Jewish Museum Berlin
Show lessRead more

Stumbling stones for the Marcuse family (2015) by Jörg WaßmerJewish Museum Berlin


Georg Marcuse died in 1994 at the great age of 93, and was buried in the cemetery in Berlin-Weissensee. No grave exists for his brother Erich and Erich’s wife and child. Today, however, they are commemorated by three stumbling stones placed on the street at their last home address, Gipsstrasse 3 in Berlin.

Credits: Story

All documents and photographs:
Jüdisches Museum Berlin, Georg Marcuse Collection

Text and exhibit selection: Ulrike Neuwirth

Editor: Henriette Kolb, Jörg Waßmer, assistance: Lisa Schank
Translation: Karen Margolis
Proofreading: Julia Bosson
Photo reproduction: Jens Ziehe

We would like to express our sincere gratitude to the donor, Heike Kalz.

Credits: All media
The story featured may in some cases have been created by an independent third party and may not always represent the views of the institutions, listed below, who have supplied the content.
Explore more
Related theme
Stories of the Holocaust
The Holocaust, also known as the Shoah, was the persecution and murder of 6 million Jewish people and 5 million non-Jewish minorities by the Nazi regime. Here we remember the suffering and loss - as well as the perseverance, survival and strength - of its victims.
View theme
Google apps