By QUT Digital Collections
Queensland University of Technology (QUT) acknowledges the Turrbal and Yugara as the First Nations owners of the lands where QUT now stands. We pay respect to their Elders, lores, customs and creation spirits. We recognise that these lands have always been places of teaching, research and learning. QUT acknowledges the important role Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people play within the QUT community.
Bank of Australasia, Corner Queen and Wharf Streets, Brisbane (1897) by UnidentifiedQUT Digital Collections
1897 Bank of Australasia, Cnr Queen and Wharf St, Brisbane
From Brisbane the capital of Queensland, to the many towns across the State there were many branches of the Bank of Australasia. The Bank of Australasia was an Australian bank in operation from 1835 to 1951.
Bank of Australasia Heroes' Day Pageant/Procession Dec 1917
The bank to the right was the original Bank of Australasia Branch at the time of the parade in 1917. The building was built in 1856 and then rebuilt in 1923/25. Bank of Australasia, Heroes' Day Pageant/Procession, Brisbane Queensland | QUT Digital Collections
The Bank of Australasia building on the corner of Queen and Wharf Street was very large and opulent compared with rural and remote Queensland branches.
1920s Bank of Australasia Buildings
The earlier branches in the 1920's were usually constructed more like a Queenslander house in with tin and timber construction. Some branches had accommodation either on the second floor or at the rear of the branch for the bank manager and his family.
1930s Bank of Australasia Buildings
In the 1930s the buildings became more recognisable in their style and a lot more substantial in their construction.
1940s Bank of Australasia buildings
1950s Bank of Australasia Buildings
In 1951 the Union Bank of Australia and the Bank of Australasia merged to form what we know as ANZ Bank
This was the Bank of Australasia, State Headquarters, Queen and Wharf Streets, until its merger with the ANZ Banking Group in October 1951. The decorations were for Queen Elizabeth's first Royal Visit to Brisbane in March of 1954. This remained a branch of that bank until about the latter part of the 1970s. The original building was built in 1856, then rebuilt as in this photo in 1923/25 and demolished in 1984.
The only remaining trading ANZ branch in the QUT Digital Collection is the Warwick branch. Many have burnt down, been replaced by other buildings or used as AirB&Bs or professional offices.
For more images including buildings, staff and internal bank images please see Queensland University of Technology Digital Collections:
Australia - Bank of Australasia/ANZ Bank