Aristides Pedro da Silva - Part 2

A photographer from Campinas

Soccer team (Cerca de 1950) by Aristides Pedro da SilvaCentro de Memória-Unicamp

V8 photographer

Despite amateur initiatives, photography became a profession for Aristides Pedro da Silva only in 1952, when he opened the Foto V8 studio, on Treze de Maio Street. During this same period, he was coach of the youth of Guarani Futebol Clube between 1950 and 1960.  It was on the soccer fields that V8 trained his sensitivity, correlating light and shape in capturing the best angles. 

Infantil Clube Atlético Valinhense (1961) by Aristides Pedro da SilvaCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Football match between Associação Atlética Ponte Preta and Santos Futebol Clube at Moisés Lucarelli Stadium, Aristides Pedro da Silva, 16 de agosto de 1970, From the collection of: Centro de Memória-Unicamp
,
Football match between Associação Atlética Ponte Preta and Santos Futebol Clube at Moisés Lucarelli Stadium, Aristides Pedro da Silva, 16 de agosto de 1970, From the collection of: Centro de Memória-Unicamp
Show lessRead more

Guarani Futebol Clube Team (Cerca de 1958) by Aristides Pedro da SilvaCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Ferreira Penteado Street (Entre 1970 e 1979) by Aristides Pedro da SilvaCentro de Memória-Unicamp

A city in transformation

His studio initially focused on producing 3x4 photos. However, the V8 stood out for registering a city in transformation that left behind the characteristics of the 19th century to take on the much sought after idea of modernization.

Abolição Street - Ponte Preta District (Entre 1970 e 1980) by Aristides Pedro da SilvaCentro de Memória-Unicamp

V8 exhaustively registered the collapsing city, as much for the carelessness as for the speeches of a modernity that took with it the houses, the church and a theater; or a city that recreated itself with new buildings, avenues and stadiums.

Rosario Church Demolition (Entre maio e setembro de 1959) by Aristides Pedro da SilvaCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Demolition of the Church of the Rosary

Inaugurated in 1817, the Church of Our Lady of Rosary underwent several changes over time and was known for its beauty. Its last decoration was developed in the late 1910s by the Austrian artist Thomaz Scheuchl. The temple was demolished in 1956 for the expansion of Avenida Francisco Glicério provided for in Francisco Prestes Maia's Urban Improvement Plan.

Rosario Church Demolition, Aristides Pedro da Silva, Entre maio e setembro de 1956, From the collection of: Centro de Memória-Unicamp
,
Rosario Church Demolition, Aristides Pedro da Silva, Entre maio e setembro de 1958, From the collection of: Centro de Memória-Unicamp
Show lessRead more

Rosario Church Demolition (Entre maio e setembro de 1957) by Aristides Pedro da SilvaCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Municipal Theater Demolition (6 de outubro de 1965) by Aristides Pedro da SilvaCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Demolition of the Municipal Theater

With its inauguration in 1930, the Municipal Theater of Campinas was built in an eclectic style. The theater, with capacity for 1400 people, distributed new products from Europe throughout the country. In 1965, based on two technical reports, the then mayor Ruy Hellmeister Novaes decided to demolish the building.

Municipal Theater Demolition, Aristides Pedro da Silva, 10 de dezembro de 1965, From the collection of: Centro de Memória-Unicamp
,
Municipal Theater Demolition, Aristides Pedro da Silva, 11 de novembro de 1965, From the collection of: Centro de Memória-Unicamp
Show lessRead more

Municipal Theater Demolition (19 de novembro de 1965) by Aristides Pedro da SilvaCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Tram farewell (Outubro de 1970) by Aristides Pedro da SilvaCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Farewell to the trams

Electric trams were installed in Campinas in 1912 by the  Campinas Company of Traction, Light and Force. The system was losing space to automobiles, being totally deactivated in 1968.

Tram farewell, Aristides Pedro da Silva, 1968, From the collection of: Centro de Memória-Unicamp
,
Tram farewell, Aristides Pedro da Silva, Outubro de 1968, From the collection of: Centro de Memória-Unicamp
Show lessRead more
Removal from the tram tracks in front of FEPASA, Aristides Pedro da Silva, Entre 1973 e 1976, From the collection of: Centro de Memória-Unicamp
,
Removal from the tram tracks in front of FEPASA, Aristides Pedro da Silva, Entre 1973 e 1976, From the collection of: Centro de Memória-Unicamp
Show lessRead more

Front of the stadium (1947) by Aristides Pedro da SilvaCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Demolition and rebuild of the Guarani Futebol Clube Stadium

The Guarani Futebol Clube was founded in 1911, having inaugurated its first stadium in 1923. The Brinco de Ouro da Princesa Stadium was inaugurated in 1953, with a project by the modernist architects Oswaldo Corrêa Gonçalves and Ícaro de Castro Mello.

Demolition of the Guarani Futebol Clube Stadium (1953) by Aristides Pedro da SilvaCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Construction of the headboards of the Brinco de Ouro da Princesa Stadium, Aristides Pedro da Silva, 1961, From the collection of: Centro de Memória-Unicamp
,
Construction of the Guarani Futebol Clube swimming pools, Aristides Pedro da Silva, Entre 1963 e 1964, From the collection of: Centro de Memória-Unicamp
Show lessRead more

Toboggan construction (Cerca de 1979) by Aristides Pedro da SilvaCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Aerial view of the city (Entre 1960 e 1962) by Aristides Pedro da Silva]Centro de Memória-Unicamp

With a sensitive and technical eye, Aristides Silva recorded a city that was undoing and remaking itself through cultural, political, social, economic, architectural and urban dynamics.  His collection was acquired by the Centro de Memória-Unicamp in 2001, allowing generations of researchers to come into contact with valuable records for local and regional history and for the preservation of a time that is rediscovered every day.

Go back to part 1 and learn more about the life of Aristides Pedro da Silva and his collection!

Credits: Story

Director
André Luiz Paulilo
 
Associate Director
Maria Sílvia Duarte Hadler
 
Coordination
João Paulo Berto

Curatorial Project and Texts
Ana Cláudia Cermaria
 
Translation and images selection
Ana Julia Bacce Kuhl
Marileide Rayane de Macedo da Silva

Realization
Centro de Memória-UNICAMP
 
December 2021

Credits: All media
The story featured may in some cases have been created by an independent third party and may not always represent the views of the institutions, listed below, who have supplied the content.
Google apps