The Campinas’ Cultural Heritage

in the gaze of Fúlvia Gonçalves

By Centro de Memória-Unicamp

The artist Fúlvia Gonçalves in her studio (2017-05-15) by Juliana FrancoCentro de Memória-Unicamp

The artist

Fúlvia Gonçalves is one of the most important artists of Campinas in the present time. Her formation began in Ribeirão Preto, SP, however was in Campinas, SP, that she done career in the State University Campinas. There, she was involved in the creation  and implantation of the Institute of Arts. Her artist production is large and her works can be found in national and international institutions.

Testimonies from Old Campinas (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

In 1986, in partnership with the memorialist Benedito Barbosa Pupo, she published the book "Testemunhos do Passado Campineiro" (Unicamp Publishing House). The drawings, currently part of the collections of the Unicamp Memory Center, were elaborated in ink on paper and depict important sites in Campinas, SP, many of which do not currently exist. This exhibition presents a travel across the old Campinas, crossing the drawings of Fulvia Gonçalves with photos also belonging to the collections of the CMU.

Metropolitan Cathedral of Our Lady of the Conception (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

The Metropolitan Cathedral of Campinas

The Metropolitan Cathedral of Our Lady of Conception was built between 1807 and 1883 in rammed earth technique. It’s one of the tallest buildings in the world in this technique. It has a façade in neoclassical style and a large set of carved wood work made by the artists Vitoriano dos Anjos Figueiroa and Bernardino de Sena Reis e Almeida. It was declared an state monument in 1981 by CONDEPHAAT.

Metropolitan Cathedral of Campinas, Unidentified, 1929, From the collection of: Centro de Memória-Unicamp
Show lessRead more
1900 - Partial View of Campinas, Fúlvia Gonçalves, 1986, From the collection of: Centro de Memória-Unicamp
Show lessRead more
Partial View - Panorama of Campinas, Frisch Kowalsky, 1890, From the collection of: Centro de Memória-Unicamp
Show lessRead more

Partial view of José Bonifácio Square (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

José Bonifácio Square

José Bonifácio Square, also known as Largo da Catedral, was one of the first squares in the city of Campinas and an important stopping point for trams in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In this square, that are located significant buildings of the history of the city, like the Metropolitan Cathedral of Campinas and the old Hotel Terminus.

José Bonifácio Square (1944) by UnknownCentro de Memória-Unicamp

São Carlos Theather Square (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

São Carlos Theatre Square

The São Carlos Theater was the largest and most important show house in Campinas. Located in Rui Barbosa Square, it was built in 1850 and demolished in 1922 for an expansion, subsequently, it was called Municipal Theater of Campinas.

São Carlos Theather (1889) by UnknownCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Facade of FEPASA's station (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

São Paulo Railway Company Station

A Estação da Companhia Paulista de Estradas de Ferro foi inaugurada em 11 de agosto 1872, tendo servido como estação ferroviária até 15 março de 2001, quando partiu seu último trem com destino a Araraquara. Foi tombada em 1982 pelo CONDEPHAAT como patrimônio histórico e cultural, e hoje, é sede da Estação Cultura.

São Paulo Railway Company's Station (1900/1909) by UnknownCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Manoel Dias Village (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Vila Manoel Dias

Vila Manoel Dias, in Vila Industrial, was settled at the end of the 19th century by workers of the Paulista (1872) and Mogiana (1874) Railway Companies. Over time, the region's workforce has attracted more and more companies and factories around it. Some residences are preserved until today.

Manoel Dias da Silva alley (1988) by Aristides Pedro da SilvaCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Mogiana Railway Company old office (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Mogiana Railway Company old office

At the Mogiana’s Palace operated the third headquarters of the Mogiana Railway Company until it was transferred to São Paulo in 1926. The building continued as an office of some divisions of Mogiana Company until 1972, when it was integrated with FEPASA. Over time, the building went through a series of renovations, including an adaptation of the neoclassical façade to the eclectic style, around 1908, and the suppression of a part for conversion from Campos Salles street into avenue in 1950.

Mogiana's Office (1949) by UnknownCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Penteado's family house (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Palácio dos Azulejos

The Palácio dos Azulejos, old Baron of Itatiba’s house, was constructed in rammed earth technique and in neoclassical style in the year of 1878, possessing Portuguese tiles flooring. They were two twinned buildings that, after modification, hosted the City Hall and the Campinas Forum. It was declared as a monument by IPHAN, CONDEPHAAT and CONDEPACC and and currently it shelters the MIS - Museum of Image and Sound, under the responsibility of the Municipal Secretary of Culture.

Palace of the tiles (1979) by UnknownCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Gate of the Pontifical Catholic University of Campinas (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Gate of the Pontifical Catholic University of Campinas

The building of the Barão de Itapura’s house, also known as Pátio dos Leões, is one of the three campuses of the Pontifical Catholic University of Campinas (PUC-Campinas). This second denomination results from its ornate gate in cast iron and pillars in stonework that support the animals, originals of the building.

Gate of the Pontifical Catholic University of Campinas (1978) by Benedito Barbosa PupoCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Bird Market (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Bird Market

The Vegetable Market, inaugurated in 1886, was built by citizen Augusto Gomes Tojal and delivered to the Campinas City Council. It closed its activities in 1908, when the building had become a shelter of swallows, from where comes the name. It was demolished in 1956.

Andorinhas Marketplace (1912) by UnidentifiedCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Municipal Market (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Municipal Market

The building of the Municipal Market of Campinas was inaugurated on April 12, 1908. Designed by Francisco de Paula Ramos de Azevedo in neo-Moorish revival style, it was installed next to the station of the Carril Funilense Railway Company, replacing the Vegetables Market. The building is a cultural monument of Campinas, declared by CONDEPACC in 1982.

Municipal Market of Campianas (1914) by UnknownCentro de Memória-Unicamp

View of Bento Quirino Square (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Bento Quirino Square

This square has been named since June 25, 1889 and where it located the Basilica of Our Lady of Carmo. It is in the "landmark" region of Campinas and it’s an important historical point of the city. In front of it, in Antônio Pompeu Square, you will find the monuments of Carlos Gomes and Bento Quirino, two important Campinas characters.

Antonio Pompeo Square (1909) by UnknowCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Basilique of Our Lady of Mount Carmel

The Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, currently Basilique of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, was inaugurated in 1781 as Nossa Senhora da Conceição de Campinas’ main church. The church underwent several reforms, which resulted in the inclusion of the towers and the clock that belonged to old Chain. In 1930, known as the "Old main church", it was practically destroyed and rebuilt in neogothic style. It was officially re-inaugurated between 1933 and 1934.

Bento Quitino square and Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary (1979) by Aristides Pedro da SilvaCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Carlos Gomes Institute of Education (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Carlos Gomes School

The school came from the Complementary School of Campinas in 1902 and, after several denominations, in 1936, it changed its name to  Normal School Carlos Gomes, in homage to the most important composer of opera of Campinas. The school is located since 1924 in the eclectic style building on Avenida Anchieta next to the City Hall.

Carlos Gomes school (1949) by UnknownCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Bandstand of Carlos Gomes square (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Bandstand of Carlos Gomes square

This bandstand was manufactured by Mac Hardy Company and it’s located in Carlos Gomes Square, next to the homonymous School. It’s in the process of register with the bandstand of Correia de Lemos square and the Patítulo bandstand, located in Pará square. The monument is important by its artistic composition, with elaborate sawmill and atlanteans at the base.

Bandstand of Carlos Gomes square (1977) by Aldeia (Estudio)Centro de Memória-Unicamp

Regional Police Station - 471, Andrade Neves Ave. (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Regional Police Station - 471, Andrade Neves Ave.

The sectional police station, designed by the architect Ramos de Azevedo in a neo-renaissance style and under the influence of Masonic architecture, began to be built in 1895, and was inaugurated in the following year. Due to the original proposal to house the "New House Chamber and Chain", the building had to undergo by renovations to host, in 1934, the Regional Police Station.

Regional Police Station (1949) by UnknownCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Old Clube Campineiro (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Campinas Jockey Club

The Campinas Jockey Club, located in downtown of Campinas, was started in 1914 with a project by the architect Christiano Stockler das Neves and completed in 1925 under the supervision of the engineer Augusto Lefévre. The eclectic building contains features of the Art Nouveau and neo-Renaissance styles and preserves its original architecture.

Clube Campineiro (1949) by UnknownCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Beneficência Portuguesa hospital (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Beneficência Portuguesa Hospital

The Beneficência Portuguesa Hospital of Campinas was founded in June 1879, initially to serve local Portuguese immigrants. The hospital underwent several reforms, including to expand its program. Its current headquarters, designed in 1930 by Ricardo Severo, refers to the neoclassical and baroque styles whose mix marks the trend of eclectic architecture in the nineteenth century.

Beneficência Portuguesa hospital (1939) by UnknownCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Old facade of the Agronomic Institute (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Campinas Agronomic Institute

The Campinas Agronomic Institute was founded on June 27, 1887. In an Art Nouveau style, the main building, Edifício Dom Pedro II, was inaugurated in 1888 and was the headquarters of the Institute until the second half of the 1920s, renovated in 1927. In 1943, two new lateral buildings were constructed, the Edifício Franz W. Dafert and the Edifício Conselheiro Antônio Prado. The set is declared as a cultural monument by CONDEPHAAT and CONDEPACC.

Blue Book House (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Book blue House

The Book blue House was founded on November 14, 1876, by Antonio Benedicto de Castro Mendes, being located at Barão de Jaguara street, 50. In 1935, the building was demolished and, on November 14, 1936, there was opened a new hadquarters in Avenida Francisco Glicério, 1246, in a two-story building designed by Lix da Cunha. It probably worked until the 1960s.

Blue Book House (1900) by UnknownCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Facade of building in the Antonio Pompeu Square (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Armbrust Small Palace

The Armbrust small palace, located at the Barão de Jaguara and Bernardino de Campos streets, was built in 1890 and demolished in 1956, during the implementation of the Prestes Maia Plan, that included the widening of roads. In front of it was located, in Largo do Carmo, there is the Carlos Gomes’ monument-tomb, which was produced in 1905 by Rodolfo Bernadelli. The statue, made in bronze, depicting the conductor in the practice of regency and the female figure at its base represents the city of Campinas.

Companhia Campineira de Tração, Luz e Força building façade (1939) by Photo Leal (Estudio)Centro de Memória-Unicamp

Barão de Jaguara street (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Barão de Jaguara street

Barão de Jaguara street was the most important street in the city of Campinas until the 1950s. It has been named since 1889 in honor of Antonio Pinheiro de Ulhôa Cintra, an important physician and politician from the Campinas region who, together with Bento Quirino, served in the combat against yellow fever.

Barão de Jaguara street (1909) by UnknownCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Old Rosario street (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Francisco Glicério street

The old Rosário street was renamed to Francisco Glicério street in 1889. In 1913 it was extended between Orosimbo Maia and Barão de Itapura streets, and widened in 1950. It became avenue in 1951 and since then is one of the main roads of the city.

Francisco Glicério Street (1920) by UnidentifiedCentro de Memória-Unicamp

13 de Maio street, corner with the José Paulino street (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

José Paulino street

The meeting of 13 de maio and José Paulino streets is one of the most important commercial points of the city of Campinas. Located in the center of the city, the place was the scene of several urban transformations that have occurred over the years, such as the use of trolley and the city's first underground electrical installation. José Paulino street was named in 1889 in honor of the campineiro recognized by the basic sanitation services provided to the city during the yellow fever epidemic.

José Paulino street (1979) by Aristides Pedro da SilvaCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Commercial point of Campinas (1986) by Fúlvia GonçalvesCentro de Memória-Unicamp

The commercial street

The commercial street is located between the Bernardino de Campos and General Osório street in the 1940s. Even today, the region maintains its commercial characteristic.

Dr. Quirino street (1940) by UnknownCentro de Memória-Unicamp

Credits: Story

Coordination
Prof. Dr. André Luiz Paulilo

Curatorial Project
Aline Borges Vieira

Research and Texts
Aline Borges Vieira
Ligia Cruz Ruiz
João Paulo Berto

Review
Ana Cláudia Cermaria

Execution
Centro de Memória-Unicamp



October, 2018

Credits: All media
The story featured may in some cases have been created by an independent third party and may not always represent the views of the institutions, listed below, who have supplied the content.
Google apps